Penn Dixie With Surprise Meeting!

TNGray

I was stuck in Pittsburgh this weekend. On the spur of the moment, I decided to check out the Penn Dixie Site near Buffalo on Saturday. On the way, I stopped at Walmart and picked up a 2 /1/2 pound hammer, a small chisel and a water bottle. I arrived at the site about 10:30, checked in with the docents and became a member of the society.

The docent introduced me to some Canadians who were there to hunt for the day, Malcolm and Jim. They graciously invited me to hunt with them and within a few minutes, we found out that we are all members here on this forum!

Little did I know that being part of the team meant schlepping 300 lb. slabs of limestone! However, the hospitality and the camaraderie made my day, not to mention the opportunity to split fresh rock!

Check out my full report, with video, on my website. http://nautiloid.net/fossils/sites/penn_dixie/penn_dixie.html

07_splitting2.jpg

Edited by TNGray
  • I found this Informative 1

A serendipitous meet-up; how cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It was a pleasure to split rock with you and share the day and excitement with like minded people. I should say too, that I'm glad there was an extra back to lift those slabs out! I wanted to make as few cuts as possible for fear of ruining good specimens but dang those were heavy! Lol

Thanks for the day and I hope we get the opportunity to 'schlep' rock together again and I hope to see posts of your prepped finds!

Excellent post on your page, thanks for sharing your visit with all of us, some good finds there...

When we went to Ridgemont in May we were told they had us scheduled for three visits. So now we know!!!

Excellent report - great pics and finds!

Nice to hear of Forum meet ups, particularly if they are unplanned. :)

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great report and great finds! I'll be there in 12 days :) Anyone else that's going that day, I'll see you there!

Malcolm using the saw to remove blocks is just plain Cheating! :P He is good people though and very cool to collect with.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I don't recall Malcolm touching the saw. And Jim knows that "use of tools" separates man from beast! We just needed a deeper cut!

Those who know me know that I definitely did not touch the saw, a great day of hunting with good people. I suspect that when the spoils of the day are counted up we all came away with some awesome stuff. Can't wait to get back there. Heck we even left some blocks split out for whoever came next , we just could not do anymore, there was no gas left in the tank........

On a serious note though this was the first time using a rock saw that I have seen at Penn Dixie. It worked out incredibly well. I suspect that we split out at least three times the number of blocks that we could have without the saw. Some of the slabs were still difficult for 4 of us to move they were so big. At one point we lifted a 10 foot long section of the bench that was two feet thick with our three long bars and a shorter one. (We also recruited the guy in the red shrrt to help move the big slabs)

Edited by Malcolmt

I am planning to use some mild abrasion. Some of the others will require some penning to see what is hiding in the matrix.

Here it is after a bit of prep. Too bad it has the damage on the side. Still a keeper for me!

20140706_trilobite_1.jpg

Edited by TNGray

I am a rookie at prep so this trip has given me a lot of material for practice.

Here's one, before and after.

20140706_trilobite_2_before.JPG

20140706_trilobite_2.jpg

Looking pretty good so far, TNGray!

Thanks for posting some results!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Bug-eyed bugs make me smile; they are the iconic fossil of my childhood :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looking good TNGray. I told you about my mix of oxide and soda but I hit these with a soda/dolomite mix and its WAY better. It will easily get into those small grooves and get the rest of the matrix outta there.

How cool is that!?!

Thanks for sharing the trip. Looks and sounds like a lot of work.

Nice preservation on those bugs, and beautiful prep work guys.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG