Possible End Of Fossil Collecting In Washington & Oregon

CH4ShotCaller

Just got off the phone with several of my associates. It seems that Weyerhauser will be shutting down the collecting and hunting of fossils in Washington and Oregon. Permits are required even for foot access and collecting of certain edibles are now restricted. Item 17 on the permit states no rock collecting. It seems that may include fossils. Had a suspicious feeling this was coming. :mellow: I'm gonna be digging like a mad man until August 1st. <_<

http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/

Edited by CH4ShotCaller

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

If you want to be a smarty, you can just state that fossils are not minerals, and go about your way. Haha

That's very sad to hear! I'm sure it will be sweeping Eastward, consuming all of the lower 48....ugh.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

If you want to be a smarty, you can just state that fossils are not minerals, and go about your way. Haha

That's very sad to hear! I'm sure it will be sweeping Eastward, consuming all of the lower 48....ugh.

I had heard and thought it was for something else, decided to get a permit just in case. Found out item #17 is the kicker. I got a nose bleed when I read it.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Have you gotten clarification from the permit issuer?

I would check directly with them.

Sorry, sounds like a possible shut-out.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yep, looks like it's a done deal. Here's part of the permit, see #17.

10. No fireworks are permitted at any time.

11. No smoking is allowed outside of a vehicle.

12. Active logging, road construction or other management units are off-limits and must be avoided by Permittee at all times, whether such areas are signed or not. Permittee must obey all signs on the Permit Area.

13. Permittee shall not use or possess alcohol or drugs that are illegal under state or federal law while on the Permit Area. Permittee shall not enter or remain on the Permit Area while under the influence of alcohol or drugs that may cause impairment of Permittee in the operation of a vehicle, firearm, or in engaging in any other recreational activity on the Permit Area.

14. Dogs and other animals must be kept in Permittee’s control at all times. Use of dogs for hunting must adhere to state hunting regulations.

15. Permittee must know the boundaries of the Permit Area and not cross onto non-Weyerhaeuser land or into leased areas.

16. No cutting of or injury to any trees, shrubs or other forest products is allowed. Do not place any nails, screws, or other metal objects in trees. If Permittee violates the foregoing requirements, Permittee agrees to pay Weyerhaeuser three times (3x) the value of the trees cut or injured.

17. No rock collecting, gold panning, prospecting or archeological artifact disturbance is permitted.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Oops, check out 3#. Got a feeling crab concretions from the PNW are gonna be rare.

3. During fire season, Permittee must carry a shovel, axe and a properly functioning U.L.- approved fire extinguisher 5 pound BC minimum. Permittee must notify the Department of Natural Resources at 800-562-6010 or by calling 911 if any fires are observed. 4. No campfires or warming fires are allowed on Property. 5. No camping is allowed on Property 6. No firewood cutting or collecting is allowed. No cutting or removal of any other forest products is allowed, except that Permittee may pick berries (3 gallons per person per year) and mushrooms (5 gallons per person per year) for personal consumption only. 7. No fireworks are permitted at any time. 8. Obey all signs on the Property. Some areas may be posted using our Red, Green and Yellow dot system because of operations or environmental conditions. Red= No motorized access is allowed, but walking, bicycle, and horseback is allowed. Yellow= Motorized and non-motorized access is allowed on weekends only. Green= Motorized and non-motorized access is allowed 9. Permits shall be valid for the periods set forth below: a. General Year-round Access Permit – August 1, 2014 to July 31, 2015. b. Enhanced Access Permits: August 1, 2014 to January 31, 2015 (The Enhanced Access Permit includes a General Year-round Access Permit). 10. The only permitted access points for the Enhanced Access Permits are those identified on the Aberdeen Recreation Map. Permittee must lock the gate behind them whenever entering or exiting the property. 11. Vehicle travel is limited to rocked roads.
This Permit is invalid until the Permittee receives an official acceptance document from Weyerhaeuser. Weyerhaeuser reserves the right to refuse to issue a Permit to any person. If a permit is denied, a full refund will be given.
I have read and agree to be bound by all provisions of the: Recreation Access Permit and Release of Liability, Rules and Regulations and the special Provisions.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Hoard collecting makes a mess

...and is rewarding. I clean up after myself, always have, minimal impact. Doesn't matter now.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

The problem is much more than trash. At most of the crab sites I used to collect i see a jumbled mess of rock, and it's usually up to the state, or logging company's expense to clean up the clogged drainage systems

What is driving this?

Money, more to be made for the big companies by charging you and your family to go for a walk. Make sure ya bring your shovel and fire bottle, class B.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

The problem is much more than trash. At most of the crab sites I used to collect i see a jumbled mess of rock, and it's usually up to the state, or logging company's expense to clean up the clogged drainage systems

That's what I'm saying, picking up trash is a given, debris in the road and the ditches, we clean up. Minimal impact, but there's plenty more that cause havoc.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Not pointing fingers. Just sayin, somebody is sure makin a mess at these localities

Edited by PRK

Not pointing fingers. Just sayin, somebody is sure makin a mess

I agree, we've both seen it. Last time I was up there, before we started searching, we moved boulders off the road to the cliff sides and away from the bar ditches and traffic. Many of the loggers have seen us doing this and often give a 'thumbs up'.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

How much of Washington and Oregon does Weyerhauser control? Are we also talking about coastal exposures?

Don

How much of Washington and Oregon does Weyerhauser control? Are we also talking about coastal exposures?

Don

The coast is clear. Here's the access map for permits in Washington.

post-7395-0-21320300-1404268029_thumb.png

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

That is a real bummer. Sorry to hear about your crab collecting areas. I hope you find some new and exciting outcrops to explore. Maybe theres vertebrates in your future. I have seen some pretty neat specimens from the coast.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

That is a real bummer. Sorry to hear about your crab collecting areas. I hope you find some new and exciting outcrops to explore. Maybe theres vertebrates in your future. I have seen some pretty neat specimens from the coast.

I know, some great stuff on the coast too. I believe the state doesn't allow keeping vertebrates, that's always been a grey area as to where they're found and what's legal. Might have to take that trip to Princeton, BC sooner than expected.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I empathize with your loss of favored local venues. My personal philosophy is that if there is anything worth doing, do it now. Productive collecting will only get harder to come by with time no matter where you collect. That's why I hit the field now whenever I can, saving other aspects of my paleo walk for future years.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Danwoehr, you said it, and even though it's not my State, it is very sad to see, it can happen anywhere and I too go every chance i get. We have 2 free public locations in Mississippi that I value a lot, many States don't have any. I have a local private place close to me but you never know when you will lose the access. Very disheartening.

I empathize with your loss of favored local venues. My personal philosophy is that if there is anything worth doing, do it now. Productive collecting will only get harder to come by with time no matter where you collect. That's why I hit the field now whenever I can, saving other aspects of my paleo walk for future years.

You're right Dan. Luckily, I have a few sites further to the NW, not as good as my old sites and a longer drive. Those are probably next on the hit list.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

... I believe the state doesn't allow keeping vertebrates, that's always been a grey area as to where they're found and what's legal...

You may have to change your tag to "Contributions to Paleontology Extraordinaire" but you can stand back and say "Yup, I did that". Ya can't take 'em with ya...though I often wonder what "they" will say when they my bones surrounded by ammonites :zzzzscratchchin: ...hopefully it's a cool Prince Namor story. :D

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Wow

I used to envy the old folks who had access to sites when they were new and highly productive, now are picked over.

But now... maybe we all who collect today will be looked upon with envy for having been able to collect at all!

I've somewhat moved on beyond the 'cool' stuff to things like forams, algae, sponges, etc., i.e. stuff that can be found anywhere and is too common and obscure for anyone to care about.

However, if the bureaucratic red tape becomes too restrictive even for abundant fossils, I can always take up crocheting.

Context is critical.

You may have to change your tag to "Contributions to Paleontology Extraordinaire" but you can stand back and say "Yup, I did that". Ya can't take 'em with ya...though I often wonder what "they" will say when they my bones surrounded by ammonites :zzzzscratchchin: ...hopefully it's a cool Prince Namor story. :D

Had a hard time sleepin', kept thinking of other sites I could access without being in the 'red zones'. If they bury ya with ammonites, don't publicize where, modern day grave robbers on the loose, ha!

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif