Bird Femur?

slazareanu

While on a fossil hunt in a creek in Greenville, NC, along with many shark teeth some squid tentacle ends (sharks feeding on squid?) and some whale bone fragments I found this bone that seems to be fossilised. It does not look like a chicken bone to me. What is it?

post-15754-0-48562400-1404266833_thumb.jpg

post-15754-0-24163200-1404266844_thumb.jpg

Edited by slazareanu

? Squid tentacle ends??? I have never seen, nor heard of, fossilized squid tentacle ends. That seems like an unlikely structure to fossilize, as it lacks hard parts.

Don

Perhaps you mean belmnites, those are often found in Cretaceous deposits. I'm assuming you were in GMR, which does have Cretaceous material, and loads of belmnites. As for your bone, I don't recognize it. If it is bird, Auspex and a few other members might be able to ID it.

• I found this Informative 1

It appears to be a juvenile mammal left femur. From the shape of the proximal end, I'd check Lepus first.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Yup, came here to say that I agree with Rich. This is definitely a small mammal femur, identifiable based on the shape of the head and also the large trochanteric fossa.

Thank you for your help!

I attached the picture of what they told me that it might be a squid tentacle end along with some shark teeth. Also, a closer look at one end of the femur.

I like this kind of detective work when it comes to fossil hunting. It is very educational for my young son.

post-15754-0-96930500-1404304743_thumb.jpg

post-15754-0-78137300-1404304753_thumb.jpg

Edited by slazareanu

Thank you for your help!

I attached the picture of what they told me that it might be a squid tentacle end along with some shark teeth. Also, a closer look at one end of the femur.

I like this kind of detective work when it comes to fossil hunting. It is very educational for my young son.

Yeah, they are Belemnites, not squid tentacle ends.

It is what is left of the cephalopod's guard or rostrum.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you for your help!

Squid tentacles. Love it! I once was given a lengthy on site "education" about the fossils of the Hill Country here in Texas* by a middle-aged artifact hunter who "knew everything" I needed to know about the local fossils. The fossils were a wopping 30 thousand years old and deposited by huge rivers that no longer existed and then exposed by great floods that came in off the Gulf of Mexico. Dinosaur bones were everywhere to be found. But he couldn't explain the oysters and their saltwater origins. Maybe that flood he thought. And the common footprints found in the local rocks were made by Wooly Mammoths*. But he wasn't a bible fanatic and he wasn't talking about Noah's flood. At first I tried to get a few words in edgewise about what I "knew" but he wouldn't hear of it. After a good thirty minutes of lost collecting time I decided I "had an appointment to make" and begged off. I think he was still talking to himself when I drove off. I certainly could have learned a lot from that guy.

*Central Texas is 99% Cretaceous and the rocks I was collecting in were a good 110 million years old all laid down in a shallow sea. We have lots of dinosaur footprints, but rarely bones around here. Mammoths, not the wooly kind, are found in the Quartenary deposits as well.

Tim, thank you for the link. So, since it seems that the cephalopods shared a habitat at the same time with sharks (late Cretaceous) where they prey for them?

Yes, Green Mill Run - calhounensis, thanks for the help. And the femur looks like a rabbit femur - I check on google images. Thank you Rich, Boesse.