Chalicotherium Drawing-Input Needed

32fordboy

Okay, guys. Here's a Chalicotherium sp. on 18"x24". I don't like it. What's wrong with it?

It does have stray hairs here and there around the perimeter, but the camera didn't pick them up well. The fur is supposed to be smooth, but not shiny, like a wild horse.

Nick

post-741-0-26038200-1404310592_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-41471400-1404310603_thumb.jpg

Looks good. I would suggest using a blending stump everywhere. And maybe make a real hard dark shadow underneath of it to make the creature "pop" more.

Great job though!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

My first impression is that the 'lankiness' of the arms, and their juncture with the upper torso seem...unnatural.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Agreed on the blending stump - I spend just as much time with a blender as I do with a pencil. Once it's blended, I'd go back and try and give it a bit of texture again; no mammal, even hairless ones like hippos - but particularly those with hair - have perfectly smooth features. Regarding Auspex's comment on the lankiness of the arms - the posture in the illustration gives the impression that the animal isn't putting any weight on the forelimbs, while the posture of the rest of the animal (i.e. forward center of mass, rather than over the hindlimbs) gives the contradictory impression that the animal should be putting weight on the forelimbs.

Otherwise, it's well done.

I agree with Boesse, there needs to be more weight on the front arms. Right now they look a bit floaty, like they are just hanging there.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I haven't yet touched the lankiness of the arms or shadow, but how this for texture? Better, worse? I blended everything with paper towel (my blending stump doesn't seem to like this paper), then came back in and built some lightly layered hair effect with a harder pencil.

post-741-0-51756700-1404400741_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-97118500-1404400745_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-59778700-1404400750_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-00232000-1404400755_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-92255000-1404400759_thumb.jpg

I think the main problem is indeed the arms. I think the major problem is, that both arms are too far left.

The right shoulder joint is nearly on one line with the belly and the neck. There should be a heavy muscle portion in this area, which is not visible in your drawing.

The left arm is also moved too far to the left. I think the distance between the arms feels ok.

As a test, i have roughly moved both arms into a position, which I think is better. Mind if I post it?

Besides: You have chosen a terribly difficult perspective. If I would have to draw such a difficult perspective, I would "cheat" with 3ds max and first build a rough 3d model, to see where everything is.

Of course, this can also be done with other things like clay, wood or papier mache.

I'd love to see what you came up with. And thanks for the input! I'm keeping a record of all these things so the next drawings with be better thought out.

Okay, I see what you mean. And actually, I even know how I messed up the neck/arm junction now that you gave me a visual. Sweet! Thanks for the help!

HI!

Great work so far, you're right though there is something funny about the weight placement.

I would advise actually squaring off the knuckles on the front arms, They look to be hanging because of the rounded ( not under pressure ) knuckles on the front. You need to imagine a little how a gorilla walks on it's nuckles, The point where they meet the ground is flad on the buttom as they walk on the flat surface of the proximal bones. I imagine this guy would be simmilar, So if you make the nuckles more right angles on either end of the proximal bone then it should look like it's carrying weight.

PS: This would also enlarge the tricep muscle in the arm.

Peace!

Jace

Good point, Jace :)

fordboy, I wonder how you created this drawing. Did you have a template or did you create it completely by heart?

To be honest, I used the skeletal drawing posted above and "winged" the proportions. Obviously, I used other references for the shading, eyes, etc.

Thats awesome. Your'e a very talented illustrator.

And your work is absolutely impressive - even more, if it is made by multiple references.

This needs to be said between all the complaining about the small errors :)

It's cool that you are practicing now. Keep it up!

I would say, work on the tones. The darkest tones will seem closer, lighter, further away.

So in your drawing, the rib cage seems to pop up.

And keep in mind the lighting. When making a fantasy piece even, it's useful to use a model with the lighting you want to have.