14 Mammal + 2 Shark Teeth

Malteser

Hello guys,

here is my first batch of unknown fossils from my grandfathers collection. Their origins are unknown but I'm fairly certain that the shark teeth are from Malta.

If I had to guess I'd say the larger shark tooth is from some sort of great white ancestor while the smaller one perhaps mako?

Regarding the mammal teeth I would say Equus for the larger ones. No idea about the rest, the smaller ones look kinda humanish...

Anyway I leave it up to you guys to discuss. If more photos are necessary please tell me, I am more than willing to take all the photos needed to get a positive ID on these pieces of history :) I have labelled them so they would be easier to discuss.

Thanks in advance.

post-15589-0-46341800-1404401087_thumb.jpg

T1&T2 T6-T9 are from a Bovine, probably Buffalo

T3-T5 are Equus

T10&T11 look similar to Swine teeth (but im not sure)

T12-T14 look like incisors or premolars from a carnivore (again im not sure)

And I'll leave the Shark teeth to the Shark experts.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I think that your teeth are from juvenile C. megalodon which is recorded in the Miocene layers of Malta, a relatively indurated yellow partial limestone, called Globigerina Limestone and mainly Consisting of foraminifera, which is rich in shark teeth, sea urchins and shells.

http://www.agius.com/malta/geology.htm

The most diagnostic view view for any mammal teeth we're unsure about is straight-on of the chewing surface; this will separate the men from the pigs ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think that your teeth are from juvenile C. megalodon which is recorded in the Miocene layers of Malta, a relatively indurated yellow partial limestone, called Globigerina Limestone and mainly Consisting of foraminifera, which is rich in shark teeth, sea urchins and shells.

http://www.agius.com/malta/geology.htm

Thanks for the link but I don't think all of the info on there is legitimate...that doesn't look like a Pecten for example. I wasn't aware that juvenile shark teeth differ from those of adults. While I agree that there are megalodon teeth in our rocks, the teeth in my collection don't look like any megalodon teeth I've seen before. I've been doing some research and I'm now leaning towards Isurus hastalis for the larger one. I would really appreciate any further ideas :)

The most diagnostic view view for any mammal teeth we're unsure about is straight-on of the chewing surface; this will separate the men from the pigs ;)

thanks I'll get right on that first thing tomorrow :)

Re t-15:

Serrated crown and tooth is likely Carcharocles megalodon. However I believe Carcharodon carcharias (Great White) is found in Malta and also exhibits a serrated crown. With no serrations on the tooth crown you are correct with your thoughts regarding a mako tooth.

Carcharodon hastalis has unserrated teeth. Your teeth are too thick and show dental lunula unlike C. Carcharias. . The second is a lateral tooth.

--> C. megalodon.

post-11962-0-20102500-1404423179_thumb.jpgpost-11962-0-11306000-1404423184_thumb.jpgpost-11962-0-68829000-1404423190_thumb.png

Thank you for your help. I was doubtful about them being megalodon teeth because of their rarity and because neither of them have the size or overall shape which I would normally associate with megalodon. However you have convinced me :) To be honest I would have never guessed megalodon so I am really happy with this ID.

I will be posting additional photographs of the smaller mammal teeth shortly.

Here are some close up views of each of the small mammal teeth. Apparantly they could use a good clean up :D. I hope they are good enough to establish a positive ID.

post-15589-0-61532000-1404476212_thumb.jpg post-15589-0-56001600-1404476223_thumb.jpg post-15589-0-37862100-1404476231_thumb.jpg

post-15589-0-88412000-1404476243_thumb.jpg post-15589-0-81665600-1404476245_thumb.jpg

Archived