Will Trade A Xiphactinus Audax Tooth For A Xiphactinus Vetus Tooth

vertman

Hi there! In another thread today I learned the species of Xiphactinus found in the eastern U.S. is X. vetus. I mostly collect in Texas and Kansas and the species we find is X. audax.

I would love to trade an example of X. audax for an example of X. vetus. I am pretty sure I can offer a nice specimen to trade to someone.

I am sure I could find something else to trade for it as well. Just let me know what you would like in return.

Please PM me if interested.

Thank you!

I've traded Xiphactinus and shark teeth from vertman before. He is friendly, trustworthy and the quality of his specimens are good.

I recommend trading with him.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I've traded Xiphactinus and shark teeth from vertman before. He is friendly, trustworthy and the quality of his specimens are good.

I recommend trading with him.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to pop this one back to the top one last time in the hopes it will attract the attention of someone willing and able to make this trade.

• 8 years later...

Although this thread is eight years old, I should mention that Xiphactinus vetus was described as the new genus Polygonodon by Joseph Leidy in 1856, several years before erecting the genus Xiphactinus from the Santonian-early Campanian of Kansas, and that Polygonodon was misidentified as a mosasaur in the original description and in some later publications before being recognized as a fish by Dale Russell in his 1967 publication on North American mosasaur. Although currently referred to Xiphactinus (Schwimmer et al. 1997 noted the widespread use of Xiphactinus in most literature on prehistoric bony fish compared to Polygonodon), the known material for X. vetus is very sparse, consisting only of teeth and vertebrae, and given its younger age compared to X. audax, the name Polygonodon may be revalidated for X. vetus if new material indicates that vetus is generically distinct from Xiphactinus audax (DeMar and Breithaupt 2006 as well as Schwimmer et al. 1997 refer material from the Mesaverde Group of Colorado and middle-late Campanian age deposits in the Gulf Coast Plain to X. vetus, but the type horizon of X. vetus is much older than some middle Campanian deposits that have yielded vetus-like teeth, so it is likely that more than one species of Xiphactinus-like fish existed in middle Campanian-Maastrichtian deposits in the eastern US).   

DeMar, D.G.,  and Breithaupt, B.H., 2006. The nonmammalian vertebrate microfossil assemblages of the Mesaverde Formation (Upper Cretaceous, Campanian) of the Wind River and Bighorn Basins, Wyoming. In S. G. Lucas and R. M. Sullivan (eds.), Late Cretaceous Vertebrates from the Western Interior. New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Bulletin 35:33-54

Leidy, J., 1856. Notices of remains of extinct vertebrated animals of New Jersey, collected by Prof. Cook of the State Geological Survey under the direction of Dr. W. Kitchell.  Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia 8: 220-221.

Schwimmer, D. R., Stewart, J.D., and Williams, G.D., 1997. Xiphactinus vetus and the distribution of Xiphactinus species in the eastern United States. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 17 (3): 610-615.

• I found this Informative 2