The Best Water Boots For Walking Florida Rivers?

Matt

Hi, I am really wanting to pick up some booties that will protect my feet from broken glass or any other sharp object that may be on the bottom of a river if I were walking for a while. I also want them to be able to work with fins for snorkeling. I have some booties that dont have much sole protection and have canvas shoes I could use but I still want to be able to wear fins with the same shoes I walk with :) I was looking at this pair of boots and would like to hear from anyone who has them or other suggestions. I didnt see a place of discussion for footwear..is there one? Here are the boots... Oceanic Neo Classic

post-1280-1233689233_thumb.jpg

Hi, I am really wanting to pick up some booties that will protect my feet from broken glass or any other sharp object that may be on the bottom of a river if I were walking for a while. I also want them to be able to work with fins for snorkeling. I have some booties that dont have much sole protection and have canvas shoes I could use but I still want to be able to wear fins with the same shoes I walk with :) I was looking at this pair of boots and would like to hear from anyone who has them or other suggestions. I didnt see a place of discussion for footwear..is there one? Here are the boots... Oceanic Neo Classic

[from another thread]

I've had the experience of using rubberized chest waders in ice-covered water when I lived up north. After I bought my first neoprene wet suit, I never used the waders again.

A quarter-inch farmer-john wet suit with neoprene booties is the way to wade in cold water!

Add a pair of oversize Converse All-stars to support and protect your feet. (I use a size 13 over my size 11 feet with booties.) These are teeth that I found inside my All-stars after a day of dredging the Peace River.

[image]

Add a pair of basketball knee-pads for when you are kneeling in shallow water. (Drop the knee-pads down to your ankles when walking to unencumber knee flexion and to protect your shins from submerged tree limbs and rocks.

Note the knee-pads here:

[image]

Add a water-wicking top (polypropylene is one such fabric, but there is a large choice) and a dunking in the cold water will be a brief discomfort (instead of ruining the day).

You can stay warmer without the risk of flooded waders (which can drown you if you step into a hole).

Look for a used wet suit for sale in the newspaper. If it fits snug, it will not bunch up behind your knees as will neoprene waders.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

i dont see any images, what gives?

The pics are in the other thread that he is quoting.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi there. I actually have almost those exact booties(5mil dive booties with a sole). They work great in my creek,but the water is only an average of 6" deep. They seem to give adequate protection, but I havent had them long enough to see if they will be durable and worth the 35 bucks. I personally dont like waders, just mainly because I'd be afraid to fall in a hole(There is a hole in my creek bed that would eat me ,if I fell in it with waders)

Dan

P.S. Welcome to the Forum from North Port, FL!

Walmart sells some water shoes in all sizes for only $4.87. They have worked well for me in the Peace River.

I tried the walmart ones and they are decent (for the money, cant go wrong). Most of them time I wear old tennis/hiking shoes and that has worked best.

• 2 weeks later...