July 2014 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

Sometimes the best fossils are hiding in the most obvious places. A high traffic location may have a hidden jewel for you; but where ever you find it this month - it could be Your FOTM! Have fun out there! :)

Carefully read the rules below, make sure you include all the required information, and submit your fantastic fossils! :D

Please remember that we recently introduced another qualification to the current rules. Make a note of Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of luck to all and good hunting!

Entries will be taken through July 31st. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry.

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

OK......I'll go first. But I'd like to start with a story. After being bested in June by 2 insects I figured.....if they want insects, I'll give them insects. Today I headed out to my favorite Carboniferous site in search of bugs. First of all, I don't believe that an insect has ever come out of this site. I mean the fossil type. The extant variety was well represented by the numerous wasps which I kept disturbing. And it was HOT :o . Not a good day to be crawling over black shale. To top it off, I forgot my gloves and knee pads back at the truck. This resulted in every piece of shale that I touched burning my hand and, of course, every pointy rock found its way into my kneecaps. Undaunted, I pressed on. Just when I was about to call it quits I looked down and saw.........an insect! I was stunned! I bent down and scooped it up and saw abdomen segments. Yup......it was a bug alright. Now I could go home in an air-conditioned truck and have a well deserved cold beer.

Without further discussion I present to you ..........Tom's bug.

The picture with the lines shows eyes, head, thorax, leg, abdomen. The specimen is 3.5 CM long. I hope you enjoy viewing it as much as I did finding it.

It was found in the Llewellen Formation, Late Pennsylvanian, Carboniferous. Carbondale, PA.

A fairly certain ID places it as a dragonfly nymph. Order Odonata. Thanks Tim.

post-4534-0-54689100-1404770832_thumb.jpg

post-4534-0-03792700-1404991732_thumb.jpg

Edited by TOM BUCKLEY
  • I found this Informative 2

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

:faint:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well....i was going to try and compete with a multi specimen fern nodule......but i can't beat that! Who knows, i still may

depending on the prep job.

Awesome find Tom!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Well....i was going to try and compete with a multi specimen fern nodule......but i can't beat that! Who knows, i still may

depending on the prep job.

Awesome find Tom!

Thanks. I can't even prep this due to the fact that it's a cast and is the same material as the matrix. Air abrasive will erase it and an airscribe may damage it. I'll just leave it the way I found it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your ferns after prep.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

Fantastic, Tom!!! :o:blink::wacko::drool::wub::thumbsu:

Regards,

EDIT: the more I look at it, the more it looks like a dragonfly nymph to me.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fantastic, Tom!!! :o:blink::wacko::drool::wub::thumbsu:

Regards,

EDIT: the more I look at it, the more it looks like a dragonfly nymph to me.

Thanks Tim.

Initially I also thought it was a dragonfly nymph but the only pictures I had showed specimens which didn't have much of a thorax. The head seemed to sit right on top of the abdomen. After further review, additional research, and your comment........I concur that it's probably a dragonfly nymph after all. Thanks Tim.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

Sweet bug--and great story. Triumph over adversity--it has Hollywood written all over it--start the bidding for the movie rights. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

Sweet bug--and great story. Triumph over adversity--it has Hollywood written all over it--start the bidding for the movie rights. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken. The bidding has begun and so far AMC is in the lead at $1.50. :D

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

Wow! That is an extremely impressive fossil. July is going to be a good fossil month!!!

Thanks Ken. The bidding has begun and so far AMC is in the lead at $1.50. :D

I'll go $1.75 if you throw in the rights to overseas distribution and action figurines. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

I'll go $1.75 if you throw in the rights to overseas distribution and action figurines. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

SOLD!!!!

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

Hello :)

I've found this one on July 16 2014, at the Emerald River , Qc. It's near the Pierced Rock (Rocher Percé, Gaspésie). Ok, so far what I've found about this one :

Date of the discovery : July 16 2014

Fossil: A specimen of a Rugosa Coral (Heliophyllum ?)

Dating from : Middle Devonian

post-15934-0-99752600-1405870260_thumb.jpg

post-15934-0-62540700-1405870262_thumb.jpg

post-15934-0-69574500-1405870264_thumb.jpg

post-15934-0-76741000-1405870268_thumb.jpg

post-15934-0-37779200-1405870272_thumb.jpg

Edited by Obiezyswiat

Tom;

Wow!!! I've been to Carbondale twice and that place is picked over pretty well. It took some great fortune, hard work, skill, and perseverance to land that gorgeous little dragon puppy. Big congrats and you've got my early vote.

Jeff

P.S.- I'd like to collect with you there some day.

Edited by Jeffrey P

Been collecting a fair bit recently and this is one of the better specimens to show -

Psiloceras planorbis (Ammonite)

Lower Lias (Jurassic)

Somerset Coast, England

Found 14th July

This one has a nice iridescent shell and is one of the earliest ammonites in Britain. There are also some serpulid tubes on the shell. Prepared a couple of days ago.

post-4683-0-04290000-1406195048_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-18312300-1406195050_thumb.jpg

Tom;

Wow!!! I've been to Carbondale twice and that place is picked over pretty well. It took some great fortune, hard work, skill, and perseverance to land that gorgeous little dragon puppy. Big congrats and you've got my early vote.

Jeff

P.S.- I'd like to collect with you there some day.

Thanks Jeff.

I think the most influential factor may have been dumb luck. PM me when you would like to go and we can set something up.

Did you ever wonder what those people on the park bench think when we come out of the woods and drive away?

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

Here's my entry for the month. I don't know the genus/species but would happily entertain any suggestions.

7" Stingray Stinger
Calvert Formation
Early Miocene (17-17.5 Ma)
Found: Jul 6, 2014
Prep Completed: Jul 7, 2014
post-12673-0-72504800-1406209597_thumb.jpg
post-12673-0-04425900-1406209599_thumb.jpg
post-12673-0-61916600-1406209599_thumb.jpg
  • I found this Informative 1

Here's my entry for the month. I don't know the genus/species but would happily entertain any suggestions.

7" Stingray Stinger

Calvert Formation

Early Miocene (17-17.5 Ma)

Found: Jul 6, 2014

Prep Completed: Jul 7, 2014

attachicon.gif6JUL14 stingray barb 1.jpg

attachicon.gif6JUL14 stingray barb 2.jpg

attachicon.gif 6JUL14 stingray barb closeup.jpg

Wow

JohnJ, thanks again for assisting with the rules for entry. Hope everything is in order this time!

My entry is my associated horse teeth discovery.

12 molars, 2 1/2 incisors

Found July 9th

Arcadia formation, Manatee Co. Florida

Pliocene - Pleistocene

Associated horse teeth

Associated horse teeth

Horse tooth fragmented 2

Horse tooth reconstructed 1

Horse teeth crown view

Horse teeth scale

Horse teeth arranged

You can view the full post on the Fossil Trips forum Here
Edited by Search4

Finds of the month ...is that a typo? This should be in finds of the mouth.... :D

Great finds sir...

Edited by JWarren

No disrespect intended but the horse teeth look recent not fossil. I have seen a bunch of both fossil and recent horse teeth but I'm not an expert. I have a friend here in NY who spent days working on a "fossil" horse skeleton he discovered in a gravel quarry where we find mammoth fossils. The skull, teeth, and bones of this horse were mineralized and looked very old (fossilized). It looked good until he exposed the hooves and each one was encased in a rust ball that was once horseshoes. Also the molars showed wear at the place the bit on the horses harness would have been. I could be wrong.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

No disrespect intended but the horse teeth look recent not fossil. I have seen a bunch of both fossil and recent horse teeth but I'm not an expert. I have a friend here in NY who spent days working on a "fossil" horse skeleton he discovered in a gravel quarry where we find mammoth fossils. The skull, teeth, and bones of this horse were mineralized and looked very old (fossilized). It looked good until he exposed the hooves and each one was encased in a rust ball that was once horseshoes. Also the molars showed wear at the place the bit on the horses harness would have been. I could be wrong.

mikey

Always possible. That these were found associated, but with no sign of a skull or other bones suggests interment for quite a while. I know that some soils ate pretty antagonistic to bones, but still...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Tylostoma Gastropod

Found 7/15/14

Bandera, Texas

Found this monster in Bandera. The circumference is 7" and nearly 4" tall

post-13624-0-25165600-1406396315_thumb.jpg