First Attempt At A Dino - Painted Onto Photo.

Jace

Hey guys

Hope you enjoy it, tell me what you think and see if you can guess the species i was going for.. :)

Thanks

Jace.

dino_at_the_beach__by_vorseth-d7pqu4r.jp

Coelophysis??? It's wonderfully wrought.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Close, i was going for compsognathus :P

And thank you! :) It was really fun, i wonder what dino to do next!

Um...if I was at the beach and saw that.... :o

The job you did with this makes it shudderingly easy to imagine just that! Brilliant realism!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In an effort to better understand your work I have the following questions. The image here is digital, but is the original a photographic print that you have painted directly upon? If so, what size is the original? Alternately, is it a digital photographic image on which you have digitally affixed the conventionally painted, then digitalized, image of the dinosaur?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

HI guys!

@Snolly50

Process:

1. Took a photo at a near-by beach

2. Uploaded photo into photoshop.

3. Then used Wacom Intuos 5 to hand draw the dinosaur over the photo

wacom_intuos5_touch_01.jpg

this tablet has over 1000 point of pressure on the pen, so its like using a traditional medium on a digital canvas, the tablet surface between the white markers is the entirety of my 24 inch monitor, so i can full screen the photo and draw over it to my hearts content using the entire screen like the surface of a drawing pad.

6. I create a black silhouette of the dinosaur how i want it to look.

7. Then using black- grey -white with photoshop brush set to a" fine pen" i detail the silhouette.

8. Then i use a large soft opaque brush to add the soft ambient lighting to make him fit the rest of the image.

9. then i use an overlay layer and apply color to him.

10. followed by a layer for specullar highlights and he's done.

This took around 10 hours. The origonal image is big enough to print on a highway billboard. this is the small copy :)

Let me know if i can answer any more questions :) Glad you all like it!

Crikey! That technology is pretty amazing (but I am even more impressed with your artistic skill).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Astounding! Thanks for the explanation of the process.

Thankyou! i'm so glad you guys like it, i almost didn't post it in case the anatomy was way off.. I've been studying Theropod musculature but it can be so subtle and so pronounced in different areas, I'm finding it is taking some time to really get a feel for them in my head..

This whole project and the ones to follow are all pre-scuplting practice, I've done a lot of sculpture in the past but nothing on a professional level.. But i'm obsessed now and i will be doing a number of these from now on in mental preparation for Paleo-sculpting.

I want to sculpt, mold and cast high quality anatomically correct dinosaurs and other prehistoric life like the pro'.. I plan on having my house like a museum with awesome things to explore and look at where ever you turn :)

I already have 18 pet snakes, 1 Goanna and 2 bearded dragons at home as well as a growing fossil collection..110 Tarantulas and a whole assortment of bones, skulls, gemstones ( i found on fossicking trips ) and Prettified wood.

Should be fun to show guests around :D

Awesome work! You show incredible talent, extremely impressive.

If I might suggest a couple of minor points -details, really- that might even improve the effect:

- the position of the dinosaur does not perfectly match the 'sharp spot' of the photo. The photo has a limited dept of field, and the dino is a bit in front of it. You can see this when you look at the point where the dino's foot touches the sand. The sand at that point is not in focus, the plain of focus actually lies a bit behind the dinosaur. I think if you move the dino a bit 'back', you'll get an even more convincing image.

- If the out of focus branch in the upper right corner would overlap the dino's tail, that might make the effect more convincing, too.

- judging from the yellowish hues in the background, the ambient light of the photo is quite 'warm', and the position of the sun is relatively low. Although the dino would be in the shadow, maybe a bit of this warmer hues in the highlights might work.

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Excellent work. I have to say, though, we need to come up with a new word for digital 'painting'. According to your description, there is not a drop of paint in there.

As an ecological nitpicker, I will say the plants look modern, not Jurassic. Maybe there is a way to make them out of focus, since it is really hard to photograph Jurassic plants.

Excellent work. I have to say, though, we need to come up with a new word for digital 'painting'. According to your description, there is not a drop of paint in there.

As an ecological nitpicker, I will say the plants look modern, not Jurassic. Maybe there is a way to make them out of focus, since it is really hard to photograph Jurassic plants.

Hi!

Thanks! :)

In the art community it's proper name is " Digital painting " as you are using digital paint. As i've done both for quite some time i can tell you that they are almost equally challenging with the digital painting having that one bonus of the UNDO button should you make a mistake...

I can say in confidence though that the techniques use the same principals and are both challenging and require the same amount of actual practice to master.

As for the plants, unfortunately Jurassic plants as you said.. Not really something i have access to! LOL

Cheers!

Jace. :)

Archived