Back From Arizona And Utah. Wow!

RJB

The infamous RB is back!!! Time to get nervous! Heh,,,heh,,, We just got back yesterday afternoon and I took a 3 1/2 hour nap to try and catch up on some sleep. We got to Quartzite about noon the 2nd day of our trip. It was super great to see my buddy again and I did happen to sell about 800 bucks worth of stuff. We spent 3 days there and then left for Tucson. Showed up at Peppersauce Campground just as the sun was setting and made camp and had bacon wrapped fillets and fish fillets with a baked potato that also had a half slice of bacon in it along with some onion and garlic, and all of this cooked with the campfire! yum,,yum,,. We got up the next morning, quite cold up there on the mountain, but made some breakfast and headed into town. I forgot just how amazing it was! its been about 6 years since ive been there. The very first thing we saw was about 1/3 of one of those super big fish from kansas in the back of a truck all fixed up for display! I forgot his name already, but he visits this forum. He also had the head of a fish that came from the mouth of the big fish all reconstructed too!! Just freakin amazing!! We visited 3 different hotels all with hundreds of rooms all with dealers and all with some amazing stuff! I wiish I would have taken more vidio, but lots of dealers would not give me permission to take any, and we were there early and only saw about 30% of the dealers. Rooms with icthy's, ammos from all over the world, one room filled with amphibians, rooms with gastropods youve never seen before, echinoids, starfish, unbelievable crinoids and so much stuff its literally impossible to see it all!!! I tell people to leave their credit cards, check books and all their cash at home and you will still spend too much money! I spend about 4 grand on this trip but tried to keep it at 2500. I picked up some wonderful stuff. I got me some unprepped kietchies, one unprepped fish from brazil, some very very hard to get baby Phareodus fish, two super nice unprepped crinoid plates from china, lots of ammos, lots of sharks teeth, even some megs from Morocco, very nice echinoids from france with spines all over the place, a nice fossil table top from morocco, and lots of other stuff. It was sad to have to leave, but I had to get out of there before I spent my retirement and my home! We got up to Utah and made for the Redbeds and camped right there that night. Got up and after some breakfast, started to hunt. The redbeds were moslty facing north, so the top was frozen and very difficult to dig in. I did find one bug, but once the temp got up above freezing, it started to get very mudddy. After we got got super dirty, I got fed up with it and we headed for the Weeks. My son headed up to the quarry while I set up camp. We only had about 2 hours of daylight left. I was all bundled up with whool socks, my winter boots, two pairs of pants, two jackets on, one iwth a hood, and my spazcap and was about to start a fire when my son showed up with 5 trilos in his pack and carrying some more firewood. What was truly amazing was he was only wearing his tanktop teeshirt and a pair of jeans!!! Nice to be a teenager. The next morning after a nice breakfast, we headed up to the quarry and spent most of the day there. I would say we did purty dang good with both of us finding a few bugs. The next morning we found 6 very nice bugs with 3 of them being difeerent than all the rest in about 25 minutes, then nothing for about 3 hours. I was already tired and decided for us to call it quites and pack up camp and head for home. We also stopped by the rockshop in Delta and I bought some unprepped bugs. We drove till after 7 pm when all of a sudden the tranny started making a terrible noise. we pulled of on an off ramp and that was were we waited until after midnight for a twotruck. got to a hotel about 3:30 am and got up at 7 am and waited again for a two truck to take us and the car and trailor home. What a twotruck driver too! He was realy into fossils and rocks and wants me to go out and do some hunting with heim. He seems to know quite a few fossil sites not too far from me! Wow!!! What a super trip this was. OH, I will turn the vidio footage into a movie and see if I can get Anson to post it here somehow?

RB

sounds amazing RB, can't wait to see some pics. and only you would run into a towtruck driver thats into fossils lol :D

Hello everybody. I also forgot to mention that it was Brock that sent me a map to the trilo site. Thanks Brock, ole pal ole buddy. My first stop was in Quartzite to see my buddy and unfortunatly I left both my vidio and still camera in his RV. The good thing was that my son also brought his vidio camera so I was able to keep filming. My son also took some pics on the cell phone, but I will need his help in getting them onto this computer. I will try later today. I brought out the trilos yesterday after unloading the truck and trailor and it seems now that under very close inspection that some of the trilos are not as good as I first thought, but we still have some good ones im sure, and there are always surprizes. And Brock, while I was in the quarry on SuperBowl Sunday and figuring that I was the only one nuts enough to be out in freezing weather, along comes a car. Another trilo hunter named Kevin. Then about 1/2 hour later, another car. Another trilo hunter!!! It was grand central station out there!!! But these guys were true trilo hunters and could spit out names of trilos like no ones business. The other guy was Andrew Milner, a really nice guy and very very knowledgable about fossils and such. Im thinking that with you and he, I should be able to get some id's for these trilos once I get them prepped.

RB

Do me a favor, the next time you camp out, just say you fixed dinner. You made me hungry reading your description of the food, that is just mean. Sounds like you had a great trip, can't wait to see pics.

Do me a favor, the next time you camp out, just say you fixed dinner. You made me hungry reading your description of the food, that is just mean. Sounds like you had a great trip, can't wait to see pics.

Hey Mommabetts, ive been making a very mean baked potato over a campfire for over 2 decades now and just about have it perfected. Just ask bonedigger. Oops, i mean I 'fixed' a potato. Ha!

RB

Hey Thornbern, I would be happy to post some pics, but im still waiting for my camera to be sent to me, then I still have to find the teeth.

RB

Could I get a picture of the Moroccan Megs, thanks?

Hey Thornbern, I would be happy to post some pics, but im still waiting for my camera to be sent to me, then I still have to find the teeth.

RB

I'm looking forward to them.

Nice trip! I miss Quartzsite and the Tucson shows.. used to camp at Q for a week and make new flintknapping scars.. and come home with a pick-up bed loaded with good rock.

Most guys on other forums like knapping forums just put a video on YouTube and then post the link on the site. Works well although I think there is a 10 min limit. Some post several to make an entire production..

Mike

All your fossils are belong to us