Mazon Creek Id Cyperites?

Rob Russell

Hey Folks,

I wish I had a whole flat of these things to show you, but I'll leave that up to Nathan. :P

I found this in a thawed container of nodules today after work. I was able to clean the positive side fairly well and notice a distinct center vein running the length of the leaf. If it is indeed a leaf. Which leads my guess to cyperites. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Rob

post-2411-0-05748500-1405471237_thumb.jpg

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Pretty cool fossil in that nodule. I just read through the Cyperites description in the Mazon Creek flora book and it appears that your fossil does seem to have a shallow midvein running the length of the leaf. Will be interested to hear what the Mazon Creek experts on the forum make of this. Apparently these are fairly rare so congratulations on a really nice find.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken. Yes, it definitely matches the description in the book. I hope I can get it confirmed.

Nice Cyperites, Rob.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Thanks Paul! :)

Nice Cyperites.It looks like it’s a section from the apex of the leave since it tapers toward the top.I was surprised to hear that it is relatively uncommon to find Cyperites in the Mazon Creek local since fragments of Cyperites are fairly common in the area that I’ve hunted in Indiana, though I’ve yet to find a complete leave from the base to the apex.This piece is a long segment compared to what I've found.

Thanks charlie! And thank you rockaholic for you comments. I think the frequency of cyperites in the mazon material depends on the location. I'm sure one would be more apt to find cyperites in the location where I found this compared to, let's say, the location where I find marine fossils. Keep in mind that's the opinion of a novice. Lol. Anyhow, thanks again all for your comments. :)

Rob