What Type Of Animal / Era?

Taurus Rex

Hi, we were not particularly hunting fossils but made this find in the sand pumped out by the local authority, to keep a 25 meter deep channel open for Cape size vessels to enter the Richards Bay port harbor in South Africa. We found quite a few of these examples , some a bit larger that the two samples shown in the pictures. The fossils shown here resembles some kind of unusual vertebrae which is tightly layered. The one sample shown has got three distinctive layers, but it could also be aged related? I looked at quite a few pictures on the internet but none resemble the samples shown here. Could you assist with the type of animal and period ?

post-15921-0-51308100-1405722210_thumb.jpg

post-15921-0-63423400-1405722268_thumb.jpg

You have a few interesting sections of ammonites

I agree.

An ammonite was a (usually coiled) cephalopod similar to today's Nautilus. Their shells were a series of chambers (added as the animal grew) separated by walls (the topography of which varied in complexity by species). Your samples are individual chambers that filled with sediment that eventually turned to stone; when the shell material dissolved, these internal casts became all that was left.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Al Dente, you have hit the nail on the head!!! Here is some photos of more samples. One sample of a "baby" hercoglossa shows the internal structure of these animals. There seems to be a tube running through from head to tail connecting each of the segments.

post-15921-0-72668400-1405882928_thumb.jpg

post-15921-0-06168900-1405882966_thumb.jpg

Some photos of segment castings agains the baby sized hercoglossa photo In an earlier post, showing its relative size.

Some photos of segment castings agains the baby sized hercoglossa photo In an earlier post, showing its relative size.

post-15921-0-36807200-1405883192_thumb.jpg

post-15921-0-81872400-1405883233_thumb.jpg

The tube connecting the chambers is called the siphuncle; it is how the nautiloids controlled their buoyancy.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!