Megalodon Teeth From Rare Locations

THobern

I'm unbelievable envious. Not only is that from one of the rarest locations on earth, but it's the whitest tooth I've ever seen.

The first picture show rare pieces of Megalodon from The Netherlands.

The second picture show also the rare pieces from Belgium.

That Big Meg from belgium is really rare , if you want to change or want to see close-ups , just contact me.

Maybe we can change these teeth.

Best Greetings,

Gunther

post-1276-1234024563_thumb.jpg

post-1276-1234024585_thumb.jpg

ok, so let's be honest. when you heard the martian rovers had found traces of water on mars, how many of you went "water? oceans - sharks - meg teeth - ROAD TRIP!!!"

Some people believe that the moon is a chunk of earth broken off after a meteor strike.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

• 1 month later...

Hi all ,

that big Megaselachus from France " faluns de Touraine "

Miocene Serravalian 4 INCH and more

is really rare

post-341-1237460471_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Hi all ,

that big Megaselachus from France " faluns de Touraine "

Miocene Serravalian 4 INCH and more

is really rare

post-341-1237460471_thumb.jpg

That is a beautiful tooth. I have one from that site as well but it is smaller and is missing some enameloid. I have a better tooth from Meigne-Le-Vicomte (60km east of Angers, France), bearing minor wear at the tip. The only way I got this tooth was by trading with a French collector. I bought one from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed in order to trade for it (unusual location for unusual location).

• 1 month later...

I've been collecting Megalodon teeth from rare, foreign locations; outside of the U.S.A, Peru, Chile or New Caledonia. Initially I bought the teeth as they seemed interesting, but it reached the point where I had a drawer dedicated to these teeth. I've managed to collect Megs from Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Cuba, England, Germany, Morocco and Portugal. It's likely that I'll soon be buying a tooth from Malta. Some of the teeth are absolute junk, while others range from decent to spectacular. I was wondering if anyone else had any teeth from rare locations, as I might be interested in trading or buying. I'll also be buying a 5 1/2" Cuban Meg in a few weeks.

First of all hi to you all.... THobern, just curious but had you managed to get a Meg from Malta? Just wondering. If not, I might be able to help you :)

I've been collecting Megalodon teeth from rare, foreign locations; outside of the U.S.A, Peru, Chile or New Caledonia. Initially I bought the teeth as they seemed interesting, but it reached the point where I had a drawer dedicated to these teeth. I've managed to collect Megs from Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Cuba, England, Germany, Morocco and Portugal. It's likely that I'll soon be buying a tooth from Malta. Some of the teeth are absolute junk, while others range from decent to spectacular. I was wondering if anyone else had any teeth from rare locations, as I might be interested in trading or buying. I'll also be buying a 5 1/2" Cuban Meg in a few weeks.

First of all hi to you all.... THobern, just curious but had you managed to get a Meg from Malta? Just wondering. If not, I might be able to help you :)

A couple of months ago, I posted an updated version of this thread, but still no Maltese Meg. I'd be very interested in trading for one, yes.

That would be New Caledonia and considering how relatively common the teeth are from there, I'm not too interested. Not that the site has turned up anything great.

I've seen some decent teeth from there (pictures on the web somewhere) though they could be be very uncommon, judging by how much grinding and polishing it takes to make the commercial look "good.". The French have been collecting teeth off New Caledonia for over twenty years. What we see at shows is the junk. The fresh stuff got high-graded before it left the island. I'm sure there are local people and European collectors with some complete teeth - maybe somewhat worn but complete and left more natural-looking.

Hello acciola,

Weren't you on the haaientand forum too? Your name looks familiar. Welcome to the forum

I've seen some decent teeth from there (pictures on the web somewhere) though they could be be very uncommon, judging by how much grinding and polishing it takes to make the commercial look "good.". The French have been collecting teeth off New Caledonia for over twenty years. What we see at shows is the junk. The fresh stuff got high-graded before it left the island. I'm sure there are local people and European collectors with some complete teeth - maybe somewhat worn but complete and left more natural-looking.

I finally gota 5 7/8" one;

post-1261-12527815298891_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12527815388691_thumb.jpg

post-1261-1252781548227_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12527815562223_thumb.jpg

Edited by THobern

Attached are Malta megs from the Globigerina limestone. I've seen better examples but these are the ones I obtained via a European collector. There are others but they are broken/incomplete examples. Although broken, I've included two teeth in the picture that would could have been really great examples if not broken. Some time after I obtained these teeth, several other large examples were available but the cost was prohibitive (at least for me) :)

post-294-12528504743184_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

I know it's an old thread but I'd love to see a picture of an Australian Megalodon tooth if anyone has one, have never seen one from AU before. Didn't think they were found here at all.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

If you have or can find a copy of "Cousteau's Great White Shark" by Jean-Michel Cousteau, you will see a specimen still in situ at a site called Exmouth.

I know it's an old thread but I'd love to see a picture of an Australian Megalodon tooth if anyone has one, have never seen one from AU before. Didn't think they were found here at all.

Bobby,

You should repost that photo as it was lost when the site went down a couple of years ago.

You bring up a good point: there are multiple layers just in California known for megalodon - rare in each one. The Sharktooth Hill Bonebed is just the famous one. Even just in Kern County you can find it in the Lower Round Mountain Silt (Pecten Point site), the Olcese Sand, and the Pyramid Hill Sand (chronologic order - youngest to oldest) although you start seeing teeth that many would call chubutenis rather than megalodon.

Jess

Welcome! Here's a pretty rare C. megalodon tooth from the latest Miocene (7 Ma) Purisima Formation of central California.

Bobby

• 5 years later...

I found a Carcharocles angustidens tooth a few days ago while snorkelling in south australia, is this a rare location to find one of these? Here is a link to the photo; 

I've never heard of anyone around here finding something like this, and honestly it was the last thing I expected to find. Also, after looking at the picture now I notice that it has whitened just a little bit over the last 24 hours and is not so dark black.

1 hour ago, bobthecat said:

Here is a link to the photo; 

Welcome to TFF!

Please post the picture here (as links tend to go dead).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Here is one from the mid. Miocene Temblor Formation (White Sands Deposit, where the Desmostylus teeth are found) on the other side of the San Joaquin Valley from Sharktooth Hill (three hours west) .  From an outcropping next to a lake.

It's not pretty, but it's my first found meg none the less. I have found shards of larger ones here, so I know they're out there.

20180127_104402.jpg

20180127_104029.jpg

Sorry Ray, I had to crop the photos so much I kinda lost your photo cube.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Caldigger,

That's a great tooth for that locality.  I've seen a few shark teeth from there before - two were just a couple of crowns but I have a small C. hastalis lateral that is essentially complete.  I got it from one of the guys who used to dig Desmostylus back in the late 70's-80's.

Jess.