Any Idea, What The Heck Is This? Otolith Or Something Like That?

antibeautycum

Okay, so this came from Hungary, from miocene (badenian) deposit. (attached picture)
Scale = 1cm
Any idea what this could be?

Thank you!
Márton

post-15924-0-10106400-1405799051_thumb.jpg

It looks like a tooth fragment from a herbivore of some kind.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

what kind of herbivore could have been living at a miocene coral reef with teeth like this?

You may be on the right track with otolith. Member Coco may be able to add to this, as may member MarcoSr.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Really nice pictures! This specimen has damage but it is difficult to determine how much. The size would be OK for an Otolith although a lot of species are smaller. All the Otoliths that I have are fairly flat and look two dimensional. This specimen looks three dimensional and has patterns and a rim feature that I don't normally see on an Otolith. Attached are a few Otoliths from the Eocene of Texas to illustrate what I mean. I'm not really sure what it is. I would say not an Otolith based upon what I have seen but I am curious what TFF member Coco thinks.

post-2515-0-57571700-1405806219_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-08507100-1405806230_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-82319600-1405806241_thumb.jpg

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I'm pretty sure it is not a mammal tooth fragment.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I was thinking it was a Manatee or varient.

post-14584-0-33060800-1405808178_thumb.jpeg

It was just a thought....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Now you've got me doubting myself, Fossilized6s. I can, if I twist me head just right and squint me eyes, see enamel crests and dentin.......

Edited by RichW9090

The internal structure (revealed at the break) looks like organic aragonite-calcite crystallization; this, plus the odd, flowing morphology is what suggested otolith to me. It is more three dimensional than the few I've seen, though.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi,

Thanks Auspex and Marco for having drawn my attention on this subject

As Marco said, it is difficult to pronounce.

I suppose that the 3 pics come from the same specimen. It is a little broken and I don't know its real shape. There is a thing which saddens me : the small parallel lines on the rounded off shape, I have never seen it on current or fossil otoliths. How much measures the thickness ?

You can have a look on a post I have written specialy on recent otoliths, the link is in my signature.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Actually becuse of the outer layer looks like this is some kind of tooth (seems to be dentition there), instead of otolith - for me :/
I saw a few different type of otoliths, but this is very strange to be one...

The idea of manatee tooth looks like friendly, but then where is the root of the tooth? :S

It might could be a deciduous tooth, and therefore the roots would have been reabsorbed.....

It could be :)
But if this is a tooth and not an otolith (as I thought), which animal group could it belong to?

It would be a mammal, and give the age, a worn ungulate tooth. But by no means am I suggesting that it is. I still think an otolith is the most likely.