Why Is My Petrified Wood Growing Hair?

Stocksdale

I have some of my fossils in my basement. I noticed that some of the Mazon Creek petrified wood had started to sprout hairy growth of some kind.

post-10955-0-90596900-1405817401_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering if this some odd mineralization happening to the high sulfur coal fossils or if these are spores of something that are sprouting because of the dampness in my basement.

Here's some detail.

post-10955-0-28838000-1405817408_thumb.jpg

If they are chemically reacting, should I coat them with something to prevent the reaction?

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Here's a super close-up. I decided to see how big I could get it on my scanner.

post-10955-0-61928500-1405818769_thumb.jpg

Pretty sure it is a crystalization/mineralization of some sort.

Just for kicks.... some images of it under the microscope.

post-10955-0-28087500-1405820699_thumb.jpgpost-10955-0-31282900-1405820708_thumb.jpgpost-10955-0-53245500-1405820713_thumb.jpg

The closeups don't appear to be a fungal mycelium. What is the composition of the petrified wood? Does it contain pyrite? Pyrite can degrade on contact with air. I think they call it "ick", but don't quote me.

fkaa

ashcraft, brent allen

"Chia" Pet-wood? Just kidding I couldn't help myself. I have no idea but it sure is interesting.

The fossils with the hairs are ones that I assume have a bit of sulfur in them. I notice a distinct "fireworks/gunpowder" smell to them and a yellow color--both of which because of sulfur..... I think?

The material also falls apart like crystals when I touch it so I'm pretty sure it's not biological.

"Chia" Pet-wood? Just kidding I couldn't help myself. I have no idea but it sure is interesting.

He he he! Cha cha cha chia! Good one Kevin.

I just looked my pet wood from mazon over, and they don't seem to be growing hair. Interesting.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

"Chia" Pet-wood?

Yes, that is a good one. Maybe we can market the stuff :)

So you're telling me that an ancient fungus that has lain dormant for 300 million years, that has the power to wipe out civilization itself, has been growing in your basement? Not good.

Haha, that is strange! Mine has done nothing of the sort either.....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

So you're telling me that an ancient fungus that has lain dormant for 300 million years, that has the power to wipe out civilization itself, has been growing in your basement? Not good.

I was thinking that when I first saw the stuff on the fossils :) Would make a great movie plot.

I have some of my fossils in my basement. I noticed that some of the Mazon Creek petrified wood had started to sprout hairy growth of some kind.

attachicon.gifhairyfossil1.jpg

should I coat them with something ?

post-14665-0-36505600-1405844834_thumb.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

Sulfur odor? Pyrite is implicated; better brush it off, and move it to a dry location (away from anything you don't want damaged by possible sulfuric acid)!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Auspex,

Reading a bit more, it does sound like some interesting form of pyrite rot. I'll isolate these from the others. Maybe try soaking them in solution of PVA glue?

If you can get some of those little packets of desiccant beads (like come in new shoes) and put them in the storage area with those fossils, it should help keep some of the moisture away.

What do you think about coating the fossils with some of this? Minwax Express Low Gloss.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/clear-protective-finishes/wipe-ons/minwax-express-clear/

Here's the MSDS sheet.

http://www.minwax.com/document/MSDS/en/027426408029

Serious post this time. I am making some jerky today and was wondering has anyone tried using on of these set on the low temp. setting to "dry" fossils before coating them?

I've heard playing with your fossils too much will grow hair on them... You've been checking out the centerfold of your fossil magazines again haven't you?!

I've heard playing with your fossils too much will grow hair on them... You've been checking out the centerfold of your fossil magazines again haven't you?!

Bwahahahaha!!! If this is the case, my Mazon wood should resemble my dog by now....

I think just drying it completely and keeping it dry should stop this. No need to clear coat IMO. But if you want to I've heard of people using Beeswax. Also i clear some of my Mazon finds with an acrylic high gloss clear coat.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Make sure you do not get any of it on your skin! This is the deadly-dangerous hybrid of crystalized fungal-growth known as Fungusus fatalis.

Due to the crystalline nature of this fungus, it will easily cause microtears on your skin, allowing it to deposit crystal spores into you, which through your blood vessels will eventually travel to your brain and take over your mind.

Once you've been infested, it will turn you into a host to spawn more, in hope that you shall eventually spread it to the rest of mankind.

The ancient civilization of the dinosaurs was completely assimilated 66 million years ago! This is a threat of global proportions! You must get the FBI and the CIA and the hazmat teams down immediately!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

It is a new strain of Cordyceps fungus. You better burn it or else you will cause The Last of Us to happen.

In all seriousness, I think it's pyrite rot.

The microscopic closeups make me think of gypsum = calcium sulfate + water. You find that quite often growing on the wood in old mines.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I've now placed the hairy fossils on a bed of "Damp Rid".

post-10955-0-35783700-1406051664_thumb.jpg

Kind of a nice little "zen garden of hairy wood".

Ha, that does look rather zen like. Display it like that.

Its such a weird problem to have.

~Charlie~

I've now placed the hairy fossils on a bed of "Damp Rid".

attachicon.gifzengarden.jpg

Kind of a nice little "zen garden of hairy wood".

I like the zen garden look but be careful with Damp Rid. As I recall, the stuff is very hygroscopic (anhydrous calcium chloride) and pulls moisture from the surrounding air but in doing so the granules convert to a liquid form. I doubt your (Chia) pet wood would contain enough moisture in it to liquify the Damp Rid granules but with any moisture pulled from the air in the room your zen garden might turn into a (messy) zen pool. Then you'd have to wash off your wood defeating the purpose of keeping them dry.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers.

-Ken

Why not put it in the oven overnight at about 200 degrees? I've never tried it, but might it work? (A gas oven might not be a good idea though!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

Archived