Cyperites Anatomy?

Rockaholic

I couldn’t find any information on the anatomy of cyperites so I thought I’d see if I could get any help from posting this question. Is there any identifiable structures that can be found at the base of a cyperites leave and if so can variations in these base structures in any way correspond to the leaf scars found on bark?You would think that the base of the cyperites and the leaf scar would fit together like a lock and key. The orientation in space of any preserved base structures would probably make it difficult to link a cyperite to any particular leaf scar. This photo is why this question came to mind.I could be wrong but I think this a base of a cyperites.If it is the base, the highlighted area appears to be an anatomical structure. Any thoughts?

post-6292-0-01568700-1405845110_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

This diagram might help.

post-10955-0-56717400-1416438320_thumb.png

Also, here's an image that Bruno (Doc du Trunc) shared on his French fossil forum. I believe that is the base of the cyperites?

img_4414.jpg

Edited by Stocksdale
  • I found this Informative 1

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Here's a diagram that I put together showing leaf cushions and cyperites. It was based partly on the illustration from that book.

post-10955-0-67309200-1416440024_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stocksdale

This diagram might help.

attachicon.giflepidodendron-h.png

Also, here's an image that Bruno (Doc du Trunc) shared on his French fossil forum. I believe that is the base of the cyperites?

img_4414.jpg

Thanks for your informative post.I thought my question had been lost in cyber space.

No questions are lost forever :)

The one you found is really a nice example. And must have been a very large leaf.

It looks to me like it could very well be the attachment point. And some flair at the base and some do not. Probably depends on the species.

Very nice illustration Paul (as usual). And very informative. I'll have to check out my cyperite collection for leaf scars when i get home.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

This might be common knowledge but it was something I didn't know until the past year. The closest existing relative of the Lepidodendrales is Isoetes.

Some of the pictures of quills/leaves of Isoetes helped me get a picture of what these things might have looked like.

This might be common knowledge but it was something I didn't know until the past year. The closest existing relative of the Lepidodendrales is Isoetes.

Some of the pictures of quills/leaves of Isoetes helped me get a picture of what these things might have looked like.

Thanks for all the great research. I wish I had time this morning to study your references but as a wise man once said” No questions are lost forever”. :D

Edited by Rockaholic

• 3 weeks later...

post-10955-0-16176200-1418264133_thumb.jpg

Here's another illustration that I just came across to throw into the mix.

It comes from this site http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/en/items/SAE01:2809/&st=lepidodendron&sc=%28lepidodendron%29and%20%28isPartOf%20any%20%22SAE01%22%29&singleitem=true

I notice it shows the cyperites leaf base only covering the leaf scar area. The other illustration had the base of the leaf filling the entire leaf cushion. Anyone know which is more accurate?

Edited by Stocksdale

...I notice it shows the cyperites leaf base only covering the leaf scar area. The other illustration had the base of the leaf filling the entire leaf cushion. Anyone know which is more accurate?

At a minimum, all the bundle scars would have been covered.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!