I Think It Look Like Sacrum Bone Or Crocodile Scute. But I'm Not Sure

kkapankk

That is bizarre. I do not recognize it at all.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Looks like a sacral bone but the foramina don't go all the way through.. I have no idea haha i'll be watching this one..

The bilateral symmetry tells us that the bone is from the centerline of the animal. The foramina that don't go all the way through are pits. A bone with pits that is bilaterally symmetrical may be from the skull of a crocodilian . . . an osteoderm from the premaxilla, perhaps. I don't really know if some crocs have armor on the tip of their snouts, but it doesn't seem like an outrageous idea. Who can confirm or deny this guess?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The bilateral symmetry tells us that the bone is from the centerline of the animal. The foramina that don't go all the way through are pits. A bone with pits that is bilaterally symmetrical may be from the skull of a crocodilian . . . an osteoderm from the premaxilla, perhaps. I don't really know if some crocs have armor on the tip of their snouts, but it doesn't seem like an outrageous idea. Who can confirm or deny this guess?

Thanks for the in depth reply, It doesn't match the front of a Crocodilian skull as the 2 front pits would be 1 pit with the nasal passages moving back toward the ocular cavities. I don't see it in the photo.. I'm still stumped! Looking forward to finding out what this one turns out to be,.

I think crocodile cranial osteoderm is a good working hypothesis for this.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've never heard of any cranial osteoderms for crocs, especially not along the midline. I don't know what this thing is either but I get a fish vibe from it.

That was my first impression too. The second picture (bottom view) looks very similar to a fish skull element.

Isn't that cancellous bone exposed at the margin of each top pit in 'A'? I believe that cancellous bone is distinctly unfishlike. Of course it is not typical of crocodile osteoderms either.

post-42-0-05426600-1406067987_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

I've never seen anything from a crocodilian that resembles this. And nothing mammalian. The only thing that even came to mind was a snout bone from a suid, but I've never seen any with those sort of pits on them.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Unfortunately, the original poster removed the image last night.... :mellow: The cached image on Google was not a crisp.

post-420-0-67943700-1406131802_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I don.t know why the picture was remove. This is a new one .

and thank you for all comment :D

post-420-0-70812800-1406170847_thumb.jpg

I don.t know why the picture was remove. This is a new one .

and thank you for all comment :D

attachicon.gif10551769_10202583647207665_1557909039_n.jpg

Thank you. I have uploaded the image directly to The Forum. It will enlarge when you click on it. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

For some reason I think pelvic girdle when I see it. I just can't place what type of animal exactly other than aquatic.

What about some type of monkey or possibly flightless bird sacrum?

I've been watching this to see what it is, and I'm just throwing out a couple ideas.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Alright . . . Let's look at it again. There are no apparent articular facets on the rounded side (which argues for osteodern or a cap of some sort). I don't think it can be a sacrum without articulation with a lumbar vertebra.

The 'underside' (the concave side) apparently does fit onto something symmetrical and convoluted - the end or top of a bone. Since long bones are not bilaterally symmetrical, this mystery object must cap something in the axial skeleton (other than a sacrum). That only leaves the skull.

Where, oh where is that reasoning gone wrong? Is this evidence of a new sort of bone lesion? Is this evidence of an alien visitation to the planet? C'mon, guys . . . what is this thing?

What seest thou else

It might pay to consider pathology; the "top" has that puffy look that I associate with hyperostosis.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

If you look at the underside shot, i think i can see where some ball joints were, But i cannot find any bones even vaguely like this in shape.. Totally stumped!

I'm only new to this but those "pits" on the top side, Would they be where muscle anchors? Could give clues to what it is being that pits that large for the bone size would imply quite large musculature?

Jace.

...those "pits" on the top side, Would they be where muscle anchors? Could give clues to what it is being that pits that large for the bone size would imply quite large musculature?

That kind of structure is usually associated with fused vertebra (hence the sacrum idea).

Archived