Bringing Fossils Back From Mexico

Traviscounty

I'm planning a trip to Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico next month. Can you bring fossils back from Mexico? It seems like I brought shells back from Cozumel before.

I have been told that all fossils in Mexico belong to Mexico. Ditto to what veomega said. cough... cough... bribe... cough... Probably not worth it.

Maybe just glue some eyes, and a funny mustache on it. Tell them I bought it at a souvenir shop on the beach! :)

As you can see from the video of the 380+ fossils the mexican government seized from a mexican fossil dealer, not only were the mexican fossils considered national treasures, so were the green river fish, moroccan shark teeth and ammonites, russian mammoth tusks, etc! So ya, any fossil that goes into mexico becomes a "Mexican National Treasure" and therefore property of mexico:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/fossils-...xico/3618412682

So don't take fossils into mexico!

Remember this, in Mexico, you are a hostage. They want kill you, but your family will have to get a lot of money to get you back. That will take years. Some guys just hire a taxi to take it out for you, make sure you go across first, days first.

Do you have to have a receipt for souvenirs that you buy? Or is it just assumed its okay as long as it is under a certain value? I have never kept a receipt for anything I have bought and most merchants never offered one. I am speaking mainly of when I traveled to Belize.

Anything of any value is a Mexican National Treasures, everything! I have a friend that paid a hefty price for finding a piece of Mesquite Root on the Mexican side of Falcon Lake and taking it to the border.