Gotland Trilobite Fossil?

elolinon

Hi everyone!

When I was a kid I found these two fossils on the island where I live, Gotland, Sweden. Since then I have always wondered what they are and about how old they are but never had anyone to ask. I hope someone can help me :) I believe they are some sort of trilobite? Super thankful for help! Their size is about 13 mm (the bigger one) and 7 mm (the smaller one).

post-15960-0-41994800-1406026824_thumb.jpg

Edited by elolinon

Those are awesome looking! Initially I was like "Yea, they look like some sort of trilobite" but then I noticed the area along the top-left (in the image) of the large piece. I will let the heavies chime in as I am merely an amateur.

But the black color on gray rock - and how striking it is - is fantastic.

Super cool looking, I agree, almost like small pieces of art. I won't pretend to know what it is, but now I'm intrigued!

You are correct, they are trilobite "tails" (pygidia). They are some sort of an encrinurid trilobite, but I don't know the Gotland fauna well enough to offer a more precise suggestion about the genus without consulting some references.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I think they are really beautiful too! I wonder what made the black colour. We have lots of fossils in Gotland but I have never seen any ones with black patterns on white apart from these. I hope I can find a complete one some day as these seem to be missing some parts.

Wow, thanks FossilDAWG! My boyfriend told me there is a book about local Gotland fossils at the local museum, so I will check out that too

As Don mentioned, the pygidia are encrinurid, but a species determination is difficult as the key features are worn away.
There are a couple of genera and the overall features best match the genus Encrinurus.

To help you find others, here is an excellent paper on the Gotland Encrinuridae:

Ramsköld, L. (1986)
Silurian encrinurid trilobites from Gotland and Dalarna, Sweden.
Palaeontology, 29(3):527-575

OPEN ACCESS PDF

Additional papers on Gotland trilobites:

Ramsköld, L. (1984)
Silurian Odontopleurid Trilobites from Gotland.
Palaeontology, 27(2):239-264

OPEN ACCESS PDF

Ramsköld, L. (1983)
Silurian Cheirurid Trilobites from Gotland.
Palaeontology, 26(1):175-210

OPEN ACCESS PDF

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png