A Years Worth Of Hunting

EasternShore88

So it all started during the summer of 2013, August to be exact. I met a man in Northern Virginia who was an avid fisherman on the Potomac River. A few minutes of talking that day lead to hours then days of exchanging emails full of information about the numerous fossil exposures along the river and Chesapeake Bay. To be honest, at first none of it really interested me, until of course he mentioned the words "Shark Teeth". Now who wouldn't get excited being told that you can pull your boat up on a beach and fill a jar full of sharks teeth in a few hours time.

For all my life It has seemed a week without being on the water was an eternity. Being out there on a boat was relaxing in itself but fishing was always what caught my attention. Growing up in Maryland fishing in the numerous ponds and rivers in the bay I was always amazed by all of the different creatures that inhabited them. However, until last year I never knew that millions of years ago this area was a large shallow sea filled with sharks and various other creatures.

So that's where it began on the shores of the Potomac River, I won't ever forget when I stumbled across that first tooth, although small it was the moment that started it all. Sitting under a log on the beach laying there in the gravel was a tiny Sand Tiger tooth. Numerous trips back to this location and I just could not stop going back for more. Jars of teeth later I wanted to expand and explore new areas. I spent days researching the different formations Although the internet is a wealth of information I have learned nothing is more important than time in the field and exploring new areas first hand. From the Paleocene exposures along the Potomac River to the Miocene Calvert Cliffs here's hoping my second year of hunting can be as good as my first. Andrew

Note: Pictures will be added as I sort through them.

post-13423-0-25683800-1406150924_thumb.jpg

post-13423-0-25520900-1406150942_thumb.jpg

Your pictures are probably too large, you can shrink them or add them in subsequent posts.

Great collection you have going on there!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Wonderful teeth. I got started at calvert cliffs when I was a kid. The tooth in my avatar came from there. Thanks for sharing, it brings back good memories. I'd like to get back up there and hunt one of these days.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

That's a nice tooth mrieder79 I have yet to find a real big tooth from the cliffs. The biggest of those Mako's is just over 2.5inches and the biggest meg is about the same. I found 4 of those 7 Meg's in one day this past winter. It has been months since I have found another. I think this winter I may expand on my hunting and take a trip out of state somewhere.

At what point do we stop and wonder if our hobby has become our obsession? LOL Nice collection. I know a few of us are definitely addicts, but I think some of us have an addictive personality to begin with. I wonder what fossil rehab would consist of? Would it be therapeutic to handle fossils, maybe reproductions only? I don't want to think about that though. If I go more than a few days I start getting that itch I can't scratch. I used to hunt for old bottles and I do miss having places to hunt for them in Florida. There aren't too any old towns near me. I loved digging for them and I suppose the similarity of fossil hunting kept me hooked. Keep up the good hunt!

Some very nice teeth you have there. The Aquia formation is where I like to hunt! It appears that you may have a Palaeocarcharodon from there. Those are the more rare teeth from around there. You also have some good makos, but I only have one big mako and no megs yet, sadly for me. Anyway, great teeth!

Edited by AmazoniteJosh

Thanks everyone. There are not many things in life that you don't eventually get bored of. This however is one hobby I don't ever think I could go long without. I only wish I had gotten into it years ago.

Very nice collection and a pleasure to read and see all those beauties that nature intended to preserve. Thank you. MK

Very cool. I too became addicted when I stumbled upon a ptychodus tooth. I researched to figure out what in the world it was and was hooked. What awesome finds. I'm jealous.

• 1 year later...