Cracked Shell Of What?

Bev

Ordovician

Either Maquoeketa or Decorah Shale

SE Minnesota

The shell is preserved, but is all cracked up and the shape is unknown to me. Thoughts???

post-9628-0-48247100-1406226098_thumb.jpg

For Scale

post-9628-0-24694100-1406226122_thumb.jpg

Closeup

Thanks for looking! :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I'm thinking mineral deposit, Bev. I don't see anything diagnostic either.

I may be (hopefully) wrong!

You might have to see what's underneath with a little prepping.

Cool looking, though. B)

Steve

I took pictures of the edges to show you why I think it is preserved shell, besides the feel of it which I can't show. :)

post-9628-0-71619800-1406243309_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-06126500-1406243334_thumb.jpg

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

At 25 - 30 mm, it would be a humdinger!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

At 25 - 30 mm, it would be a humdinger!

True, most ostracods are less than 1mm. There is a tiny pyrite replaced example in Bev's other post. However, there are mid-Ordovician species that are much larger such as Leperditia fabulites. I am visually estimating this one at about 15 to 18 mm crushed flat. It is at an angle to the scale so it is hard to judge the dimensions.

So, I found an old large squashed shrimp? Cool! :D

It is one suggested possibility.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I found the source of many of the images in my field guide. It is available at project Gutenberg. Ancient Life - History of the Earth by H.A. Nicholson Here is the image for Lower "Silurian" Crustaceans which are actually Ordovician in age. Your fossil resembles i. Leperditia canadensis in shape, and size. post-14469-0-80837200-1406498844_thumb.jpg Lower Silurian Crustaceans. a, Asaphus tyrannus, Upper Llandeilo; b. Ogygia Buchii, Upper Llandeilo; c, Trinucleus concentricus, Caradoc; d, Caryocaris Wrightii, Arenig (Skiddaw Slates); e, Beyrichia complicata, natural size and enlarged, Upper Llandeilo and Caradoc; f, Primitia strangulata, Caradoc: g. Head-shield of Calymene Blumenbachii, var. brevicapitata, Caradoc; h, Head-shield of Triarthrus Becki (Utica Slates), United States: i, Shield of Leperditia Canadensis, var. Josephiana, of the natural size, Trenton Limestone, Canada; j, The same, viewed from the front.

Most of these, [ostracods] are very small, varying from the size of a pin head to that of a hemp seed; but they are sometimes as large as a small bean.

I am guessing that since Mr. Nicholson was an englishman, he is referring to something like fava beans, broad beans or butter beans.