Interesting Fort Worth, Tx Fossil?

hashemdbouk

Hi everyone,

I found this rock dislodged while looking for fossils near Robert's Cutoff in Fort Worth, TX. The area is supposedly early Cretaceous.

There are two parts to this rock, a piece which has what looks like an almond-shaped body, and when i looked closely, I saw what looks like several "brown"-ish/crystalline extensions that look like tiny feet coming out. Not sure if that's what they are... Then on the front side of the fossil, something which may be an extension of the body or another overlapping fossil, is what looks like multiple crystalline, leg-like (insect-like?) extensions.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what fossils (on both sides) these may be, as I am having difficulty figuring it out.

Thanks in advance!

Hashem

post-15970-0-85983600-1406247013_thumb.jpg

post-15970-0-97908900-1406247014_thumb.jpg

post-15970-0-87716300-1406247015_thumb.jpg

post-15970-0-68345300-1406247016_thumb.jpg

Hi there. I can't quite tell what the fossil is. It may be a piece of a bivalve such as a clam. You are correct in that the area is fairly early (or "Lower") Cretaceous.

Hi there. I can't quite tell what the fossil is. It may be a piece of a bivalve such as a clam. You are correct in that the area is fairly early (or "Lower") Cretaceous.

Thanks! I'm excited to explore more of the Texas fossil scene. Any recommendations regarding locations?

Search the Texas section. There are plenty of places to go that only require a couple of hours to drive to.

Thanks Ryan! I've started exploring the site and have just found the Texas section! Will start exploring more :)

Some of the remnant patternage reminds me of casts of Trigonia clams.

Edited by LanceH
  • I found this Informative 1

Some of the remnant patternage reminds me of casts of Trigonia clams.

That's a good suggestion! Thanks!