Preparing A Fossil Scalop From North Myrtle Beach

AlexMcCarthyWX

Good afternoon guys,

I just got back from a vacation at North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Like always, all sorts of treasures wash up on the beach including the scallop pictured below. Since it seems to be a complete specimen with limited wear around the edges, I would like to try to prepare it and remove the matrix from the shells, however I do not want to ruin the fossil. Since I have no experience in preparation, does anyone have a few tips for how I could successfully go about cleaning this up? Also, if anyone is good with identification I would love to know what type of scallop this is, though I haven't actively searched for an ID yet. Thank you!

post-15986-0-84471900-1406321805_thumb.jpg

post-15986-0-99350100-1406321809_thumb.jpg

The encrustation appears to be, at least in part, biological. If so, keep in mind that the critters that made it had a vested interest in its durability; it could be tougher than the scallop shell itself. Start with a toothbrush and water, and see where it gets you.

If you resort to using vinegar, you may find that the shell is vulnerable to it as well, so be slow and careful, and keep some bicarb mixed up as a neutralizing agent.

It has promise; good luck!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Can't help with your question. Just wanted to say hello and good luck with your fossil hunts from someone who grew up in the Canton area. My first fossil ever discovered was a crinoid, a large and beautiful one, found in an abandoned mine we as kids would play in. It was located just east of the Akron Canton Airport and Hwy 77. We found a way into it from the steam emitted from the ground during winter cold snaps and cleared out an opening just big enough to let us slither into the mine. Please don't tell my mom that her child plays in dangerous mines. Though at 85 yrs old now, she probably wouldn't remember what you told her, and she can't spank me as hard as she did in her youth!!! Love you mom.

Its great to see some other Hall-of-Fame City natives on here. I've heard a lot about that mine, though I have never ventured over to check it (or its remnants) out. Auspex, you were right about the encrustation being biological. I found that on the back side I have been able to clear up some of the mess with water, a toothbrush, and a toothpick, but I'm getting to the more difficult-to-remove matrix now. Thanks for the advice guys.

That looks to be a tuff one! The vinegar very well may 'eat' the shell material so like Auspex says, slow and careful. I used to prep a lot of pectens from northern cal and many times the matrix would not come off without damaging the shell, so leaving it the way it was found was sometimes best. good luck

RB

Archived