Lepidodendron Cone?

Cport

Can anyone confirm that this is lepidodendron cone? Hoping it's my first plant find. Thx very much. Argh! what ever I try the photo gets loaded upside-down, sorry.

Found in Bloomington, Indiana area - Mississipian.

post-15991-0-48940000-1406346611_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cport

Welcome!. Some more information on geology or location where this was found will help narrow down the possibilities :)

Edited by kauffy

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Bloomington, Indiana - Mississipian. Stone is 5x3 inches.

Edited by Cport

Thanks for the edited info, photo is still nice and clear. I've done some collecting around Bloomington and as far as I know there are no plant locations in the Mississippian strata exposed (someone may correct me). The shallow marine limestones do however expose many beds full of trace fossils, which is probably what you have there. Some sort of burrow most probably.

I may be incorrect but that would be my opinion :)

Edit: looking at the photo again I really do see why you think plant/cone..... Anyone else with an opinion?

Edited by kauffy

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I agree - was very surprised to find this. I Happen to know a retired plant fossil expert locally. I'll run it by him ASAP, but thankful for any insights here.

I suspect it is an in-filled burrow.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Today I showed the specimen to Dr. David Dilcher, a leading paleobotanist and member of the National Academy. He declared it ....a lepidodendron cone and confirmed that they can be found in this area. Thx for your input. I'm glad I've found this forum.