Moroccan Fossil Hunting

MarcusFossils

I've often marvelled at pictures of "flying" walliserops trilobites on ebay, but their price is rather steep to say the least. Would it be possible to hop on a plane to Morocco and start finding fossil of that quality lying around on hillsides? Obviously they'd be unpreped, so how would one go about doing this?

post-15490-0-92988300-1406411082_thumb.jpg

Just look at this thing! Incredible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

Well, they are definitely not just laying around on the ground. Heavy-duty quarrying is involved, and you might spend hundreds of fruitless hours. Then a hundred hours of very high-skilled prep later, you might have something to show for it.

Add it all up, and the ready-to-wear price is a bargain. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Assuming that you purchase a genuine item... The demand has generated a thriving forgery market.

It is absolutely feasible to go out there and get them yourself. It's not a walk in the park though.

Like Auspex said, it's bloody hard work in arid conditions. Obviously, the remote locations are more interesting, but harder to travel to, and you need to be ok with low levels of comfort and some hardship.

You need to work your way through a lot of limestone to find trilobites, let alone the rare species you're talking about. It usually takes several days, weeks even, to find one of these. Here we are removing some topsoil to reach a bank we're interested in. This is a rare situation, usually the layers extends into the cliff.

post-643-0-44537100-1406464572_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fred
  • I found this Informative 1

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

It is absolutely feasible to go out there and get them yourself. It's not a walk in the park though.

Like Auspex said, it's bloody hark work in arid conditions. Obviously, the remote locations are more interesting, but harder to travel to, and you need to be comfortable with low levels of comfort and some hardship.

You need to work your way through a lot of limestone to find trilobites, let alone the rare species you're talking about. It usually takes several days or more of hard work to find one of these. Here we are removing some topsoil to reach a bank we're interested in. This is a rare situation, usually the layers extends into the cliff.

Wow thanks for posting the action shot! :) How fun! Is it just me ? or do those 2 water bottles kind of look like you've buried a toddler face-down in the tailings with just his legs sticking out? haha, made me laugh,..