Pleistocene Bone?

painshill

What might this be please? A friend found it in the vicinity of the Kimmswick Bone Bed in Missouri.

post-6208-0-04910300-1406534438_thumb.jpgpost-6208-0-00797500-1406534451_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-57325600-1406534464_thumb.jpgpost-6208-0-30199300-1406534480_thumb.jpg

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Can I see the smaller end straight on? Looks like it might be horse.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Can I see the smaller end straight on? Looks like it might be horse.

Thanks Rich. I was hoping you would weigh in here. I've asked for another picture and will hopefully post it here when available.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Camelops?

Jess B.

Paleolama/camel remains in the east are generally confined to the southern costal areas and not found that far north. Possibly a bison tibia.

Edited by jpevahouse

Paleolama/camel remains in the east are generally confined to the southern costal areas and not found that far north. Possibly a bison tibia.

It's awful slender for a bison tibia and there's no prominent tuberosity at the proximal end.

Edited by painshill

Roger

just got this pic of the end-on view:

post-6208-0-75995200-1406551827_thumb.jpg

Roger

Thanks guys.

Roger

You can always tell horse - the two trochlea on the distal end of the tibia are at a 45 degree angle to the anterior/posterior axis, whereas in all artiodactyls, they are straight on anterior/posterior.

• I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

You can always tell horse - the two trochlea on the distal end of the tibia are at a 45 degree angle to the anterior/posterior axis, whereas in all artiodactyls, they are straight on anterior/posterior.

Thanks Rich... always helps to know "why" as well as "what".

Roger