"five On A Dime"

Mike Owens

Hey all you micro paleontologist, how many can you put on one? Sorry about the lack of grade "A" quality teeth, but these are not bad for North Texas as most found on the NSR are water tumbled. I didn't find these as my eyes aren't that good. My eagle-eyed wife takes credit for all our micro teeth. I would like to see just how small they get.

post-15-1233970624_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Way cool ,I really like the small stuff (not so hard on the old back, on the walk out)

Could you give more info on how you got the shot please :D :D

That is just too cool!

Great idea and a great picture :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey all you micro paleontologist, how many can you put on one? Sorry about the lack of grade "A" quality teeth, but these are not bad for North Texas as most found on the North Sulphur River are water tumbled. I didn't find these as my eyes aren't that good. My eagle-eyed wife takes credit for all our micro teeth. I would like to see just how small they get.

I love it, Mike! I don't know how small they get, but these are fresh from the Eagle Ford Group in Travis Co. last Saturday. wink.gif

post-420-0-76565100-1328504724_thumb.jpg

(larger view)

post-420-0-60764500-1328504811_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I love it, Mike! I don't know how small they get, but these are fresh from the Eagle Ford Group in Travis Co. last Saturday. ;)

John....you have got to be kidding us. Was that a real dime or one of those giant chocolate coins for valentines day next week?

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

John....you have got to be kidding us. Was that a real dime or one of those giant chocolate coins for valentines day next week?

Brian

This is the tooth from near the center of the dime...

post-420-0-03074300-1328504887_thumb.jpg

This is the tooth from near the center of the dime...

John,

Very nice! I knew there were smaller teeth out there, but I never dreamed that small! Thanks for sharing! Were they acquired by sifting?

Thanks,

Mike

I don't have the time, or fine motor skills that John has, but here is a picture through a dissecting scope of some of my small ones. The "rhino" tooth in the upper right is about the size of a period at the end of a sentence, and the fish vert is about 1 mm. (Upper left is a fish tooth, and I don't know what the thing in the middle center, and middle lower are.

post-40-1233980659_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Here is my .10 cents worth.post-417-1233980986_thumb.jpgpost-417-1233981386_thumb.jpg

Post Oak Creek, home searching method.

I think I got ya beat on the small tooth JJ.

I don't have the time, or fine motor skills that John has, but here is a picture through a dissecting scope of some of my small ones. The "rhino" tooth in the upper right is about the size of a period at the end of a sentence, and the fish vert is about 1 mm. (Upper left is a fish tooth, and I don't know what the thing in the middle center, and middle lower are.

Guys, that's small!

Mike,

No sifting on site. I just try to locate the "rich" matrix and gather some to wash on a screen at home.

The first one, you have to be Canadian to appreciate. The second, 17 teeth of 9 different species, and what a pain in the butt to do this setup. I don't think I'll try to collect anything much smaller as they don't display as nicely. Someone want to top me?????

post-77-1234013861_thumb.jpg

post-77-1234013876_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

The first one, you have to be Canadian to appreciate. The second, 17 teeth of 9 different species, and what a pain in the butt to do this setup. I don't think I'll try to collect anything much smaller as they don't display as nicely. Someone want to top me?????

I see your using a Canadian dime. Aren't those the same size as a US silver dollar? :rolleyes:

Way cool ,I really like the small stuff (not so hard on the old back, on the walk out)

Could you give more info on how you got the shot please :D:D

No special set up, just used a black velvet background set on my desk under a standard 60 watt bulb in a globe ceiling fan. The camera is an HP Photosmart 7.0 MP set on closeups. Very nice camera for under a $100.00. Biggest problem is positioning the teeth. It must have taken quite awhile for the 15 & 19 teeth set ups as I had difficultly with just 5.

I don't have a dime so i used a penny.

I got 19 teeth on it.

In total 10 species.

Gr Jeroen

Looks like yours is the one to beat unless you used one of those humongous Canadian pennies. :D

Looks like yours is the one to beat unless you used one of those humongous Canadian pennies. :D

Objection your honour (Canadian spelling, eh!)

I see damaged teeth in there. Partial credit only. Plus it's a penny. The rules specifically called for a dime

And for Mike: A canuck dime is the same size as a US one, it's just only worth about 8 cents. Our money does't differ from yours until we get into loonies and two-nies. And yes, that really is what we call our "funny money" :P

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I put a couple of those rhinobatoes teeth on a dime, so you could see how small they are. They are the teeth in Ike's ear.

post-40-1234030838_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

I put a couple of those rhinobatoes teeth on a dime, so you could see how small they are. They are the teeth in Ike's ear.

You're joshing! You could show those on the head of a pin!

(BTW, that's FDR, not DDE)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

OOPs I guess I should have known that since DDE grew up in my wife's hometown of Abilene Kansas!!!

-Aldo Leopold

You're joshing! You could show those on the head of a pin!

Auspex has a great idea, Ramo. Photograph those on white paper next to the edge of dime with a straight pin beside them. :P

Here you go John. A bunch of Rhinobatos incertus and I threw in a little Cretolamnia appendiculatus also.

post-40-1234047645_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

Here you go John. A bunch of Rhinobatos incertus and I threw in a little Cretolamnia appendiculatus also.

:rofl:

You cut the head off the pin........!

Mike, if Bowkill had 100, they might all fit on the dime!