Charleston Or Bust!

anthracite31

My mini-me and I are heading down to Charleston, SC this weekend. It will be our first time down south looking for fossils. Hoping to scare up a tooth or two. Any wisdom about hunting in the area will be very much welcomed. Will be in town Friday and Saturday and will probably head up to Summerville on Sunday. Have a good night all.

My dad and I are heading to Charleston and Summerville the following weekend. From my understanding, it's easier to find productive spots in Charleston with a boat. I think we will be renting a boat and looking on spoil islands for teeth. Good luck on the hunt!

• I found this Informative 1

My dad and I are heading to Charleston and Summerville the following weekend. From my understanding, it's easier to find productive spots in Charleston with a boat. I think we will be renting a boat and looking on spoil islands for teeth. Good luck on the hunt!

Thanks! I will try to figure out how feasible it would be, distance wise, to bring our kayaks. If not feasible, I will probably look into renting a boat also. Thanks a bunch.

Does anyone have any wisdom on Dealing with gators in and around the waterways and beaches in Charleston? I really don't want to have the "gator ate your baby" conversation with the ex!

Eat them first, I like em deep fried mmmm :) Go with your gut, if it doesn't feel safe it's probably exactly where you want to hunt lol. But seriously, don't get between a momma and her babies. If you hear something kinda like onck onck onck, they're calling for her and don't be in the middle. Most want nothing to do with you and if they're under 8-10 ft they don't look at you as food as long as people haven't fed them. Give them as much respect as any wild animal and good luck!

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

How did your trip turn out? I'm excited to go this weekend.

Well it started out great! We got into Charleston Friday afternoon. Took the kayaks out to a couple islands on the Stono River. Easy in - easy out. Pulled some teeth and other goodies from to sand :-) It was getting dark on our way back and we had a bunch of shrimp or shrimp like critters jumping into the kayaks. Wish I had some of that on video!

Storms moved in Saturday and being unfamiliar with the waterways I decided to avoid any trouble and just keep off the water. We headed over to the west end of Folly Beach to do some combing. Got to watch the pelicans diving into the water for fish, two dolphins about 10 feet offshore playing, and a crab take on a jelly and lose. I didn't find any goodies that end of beach. We decided to head up to Summerville since our kayaking to spoil islands were out. Did some scouting in and around Summerville, but as expected we were totally clueless as to locations to go. The few places that we had leads on were too deep with water from all the rain. So onto Greenville, NC. Got there Sat night looking forward to a fun day along the green mill run.

Over 5 inches of rain the last two days had the water levels pretty high. Go to start the car Sunday morning and something let loose in the engine. Ugh! All day Sunday spent trying to figure out the problem getting parts, getting a mechanic, a rental car, etc. Nothing like being broken down with major repair over 400 miles from your house with your 13 year old co-pilot and two long kayaks. Tried to regroup and headed to the Aurora Fossil Museum and got there just as the sun was setting. We hunted the matrix there for a bit (much needed therapy) and filled a couple buckets to go. Stared at the displays in the window and talked about how much we wished we were able to get there when it was open and how we need to make another trip.

Sunday was one of the highlights of the trip. We had the honor of being George Powell's guest for the afternoon. George opened up his museum to us and proceeded to enlighten us with what appears to be a limitless amount of knowledge. I will do a separate write up on our visit with Mr. Powell. The just shy of 6 hours we spent talking with him seemed to fly by and I can't begin to thank him for sharing his time and passion with us. A quick run down to the creek to watch the high water and then we were off making a b-line for home. Time to lick the wounds and prepare for another trip down to get my Explorer back.

Good luck to you ajracrew. Let us know how you and your dad make out. Happy hunting

Wow...you certainly earned a visit with George!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry to hear about the car troubles. Looks like you guys did well on the spoil islands. Great finds!

Thx guys. We tried to make the best of it. We're looking forward to a second try at this trip. Let me know how you make out ajracrew.

Summerville didn't go too well. We tried 3 different creeks but there wasn't too much to find. My dad and I are going to try some spoil islands in charleston tomorrow. We are trying to pinpoint some good places to hunt.

• 2 months later...

Hi ncmurphy. We were happy with our results considering we only got in a few hours of combing. We never did get out to the ones we wanted to try closer to the ocean due to the storms coming through. I hope you guys are having some success. We would love to get down there and try again someday. We are going to get down to Greenville, NC next weekend. Finally getting back down to pick up my Explorer from the mechanic! Hoping to get 5 or 6 hours of hunting in before heading home again.