dororowin

Fossil Site In Mt. Diablo?

dororowin

HI guys,

So I was surfing the net when I come across a site called fossilsites.com and it states that there is a site in Mt. Diablo, Black Hawk Quarry? Anyone been there before? And is it protected?

Fossildude19

Hello,

Not sure of the answer to your specific question, but wanted to caution you about that website. The information on that site is very old, garnered from lots of old sources. Many from the late 1800's or early 1900's.

In most cases, the information is no longer accurate - and sites are no longer accessable, due to overgrowth, building, or property ownership changes..

It is neccessary to do your due dilligence and research any of the sites listed on that website. Go to the county or town tax office and find out who owns the property you wish to hunt on, then contact the owner to secure permission. The fosssilsites website is a good starting place for research, but don't take the information at face value.

Regards,

EDIT: A quick google search provided this website. I would hazard a guess that it is protected, but you could contact the museum and look for volunteer opportunities.

Edited by Fossildude19

dororowin

Wow, thanks for reminding. I guess I will go to sharktooth Hill instead. Anyone know the cost of it?

fossil26

Wow, thanks for reminding. I guess I will go to sharktooth Hill instead. Anyone know the cost of it?

You can contact Rob Ernst of Ernst Quarries: (661) 319-7080 for information and cost or check out his website: http://sharktoothhillproperty.com/

dororowin

Thank you very much!! Fossil26

califossilhunter

I did some research on Mt. Diablo. Because it is within a State Park, you can't take fossils. But you can find them at the trail linked in this article. Also contains info on the geology of the Diablo mountains