Found A Stick

RyanNREMTP

Last Friday (July 25th) I was out at the Lake Waco Research Area scouring the area and I found this. At first I thought it was an urchin spine but it is way much bigger than the ones I normally find. Plus it has a slight curve to it. I finally had a chance to examine it further and it is definitely plant material that is now fossilized. While looking at my books it does resemble a Calamite fossil but it does not have the width wise striations like the ones in the books. Also according to the books this is the wrong area. I do not think this one is a contamination like the shark tooth I found last month. The area is one that normally isn't hunted and a little off the beaten path. Plus it was stuck in the dirt a bit. It has the length wise striations and also has limb scars on it.

Specifics:

Cretaceous Period

Del Rio Member of the Grayson Formation

Lake Waco Research Area, Waco, Texas.

Length 1.467 inches long (3.72cm)

Smallest width: 0.244 inches (0.619cm)

Widest width: 0.313 inches (0.795cm)

Pictures:

IMG_20140730_113943_zpsyonjoyvq.jpg

IMG_20140730_113958_zpsxf42iyfi.jpg

IMG_20140730_114051_zpsoooycf3l.jpg

IMG_20140730_114059_zps0blkz096.jpg

IMG_20140730_114114_zpsyohjpjnk.jpg

IMG_20140730_114123_zpsp5oqq2ml.jpg

I thought that too but the striations are too regular and there are clear signs of where limbs had grown.

Here is a better picture showing the striations.

P_20140730_135039_zpssrut65bi.jpg

Edited by RyanNREMTP

Under a loupe, does it seem to be mineralized, or a cast (matrix fill)?

The latter would not contraindicate its being a stick originally, but the former would pretty much seal it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I bumped the brightness & contrast a tad:

post-423-0-38519700-1406747188_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Close examination under the loupe makes me believe it is a cast. You can make out what looks like individual grains of sand.

Bob, from the pictures and details I am finding on the internet for Scaphopod, the ones in Texas have smooth outer shells. Some do have the striations like the one I found. But none of them have the limb scars.

If I make it to the DPS trip Saturday I will bring it with me along with that bag of rudists I spoke to you about a while ago.