Can Anyone Identify This Fossil?

Cullgirl

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

• 9 months later...

post-16047-0-20135900-1430682004_thumb.jpg

Any thought on this?? anyone?? I have one much larger too!!

I believe the pencil like objects are called Belemnites. Very nice find. Where did you get it?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Excavating to build my new house in Newfoundland canada.... I have never seen nothing like this. I have no idea about fossils and would love to no more about what I have here.

Really don't know how to find out anything about this other then ask!!...Thanks everyone for your opinions, although they all vary differently.. I have searched the internet for days and have come across nothing that resembles this at all.. which makes me quite curious and my 9 year old son believes he is a avid fossil hunter and this is his prize position...He spends all his free time combing the beaches and back yards for fascinating rocks and fossils...

I'm afraid the shapes are too irregular for belemnites.

If you blow it up on screen, it seems to be a sedimentological feature, with shattered pieces of an earlier layer cemented together by the next one. Interesting find and good photo!

Tarquin

I believe it may have started out as something organic, maybe echinoderm spine pickup sticks :D . But in and off itself I think it is a trace fossil. Cool looking.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The features are very irregular; so much so that I can't quite reconcile them with anything organic...

They are more irregularly 'blade-like' than 'pencil-like':

post-423-0-99000600-1430685538_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It looks like a turbulent hash of very worn and broken pelecypod shells.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

For me looks like some clam/shell fragments cemented together.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

:popcorn: very odd

looks to me like a breccia of some sort. maybe a shaly layer ripped up and re-deposited by a storm. i see no fossils.

I'm afraid the shapes are too irregular for belemnites.

If you blow it up on screen, it seems to be a sedimentological feature, with shattered pieces of an earlier layer cemented together by the next one. Interesting find and good photo!

I agree complertely with TqB.. and at the risk of sounding like a geologist, I will throw this term out at ya... imbricated conglomerate. try this on for size... and rememebr that the drawing on the site is more perfect than Mother Nature. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/283415/imbricate-bedding

No fossils in there, not belemnites nor clams. It is a sedimaentary structure. It is a very cool rock. Hold on to it.

Archived