Where In Tarnation Do I Start?

RJB

hey RJB after looking at the megs you purchaced the one does not seem to be a meg at all, it could be Carcharocles aksuaticus or even Otodus obliquus mugodzharicus. correct me if im wrong but it does have cusps. Well one cusp the other has broken off

Yes bmore, you are correct. that one does/did have cusps.

RB

the last tooth pictures above is an elasmosaur tooth not spino.

Brock

Thanks Brock. Nice to have guys like you around to correct guys like me.

RB

How'd ya' like to double your money? I'll even let you keep the Rikers! :P

Good try Auspex. Im usually happy with doubling my money, but in this case I think I will get a tad more than that. Sorry

RB

I think this one is a little "Morroccan engineering" -- a bunch of enchodus fangs placed on a mosasaur rib.

Hey Xiphactinus, you have hit the proverbial nail right on the head. Thats exactly what it is. Simply put together by moroccan hands with lots of spare parts.

RB

I did see a few dealers with the Moroccan Megs at Tucson. Mostly they kept asking for $300-$400 for the 5"+.

The problem with the moroccan megs is there is ALOT of repair on them. I only saw 2 or 3 large ones that didn't have any repairs. They are also REALLY REALLY good at the repairs, filling it in with same colored materials and then polishing it to resemble the rest of the tooth. I even saw them repair a tooth by gluing together two broken teeth and sanding it. It took a lot of closeup examinations to figure out the repairs. So be very careful about those.

-YvW

I saw the very same thing. I was actually appauled when I saw two halves glued together and still asking such high prices! One really does have to be carefull. Buyer beware as the saying goes.

RB

Do you reckon that 600 for this one was a decent deal?

http://www.fossilsonline.com/index.php?mai...products_id=832

At the moment, its a reasonable deal, but as we all know with moroccan fossils, once they see something that makes money, they'll start mining out the ENTIRE LAYER for several kilometers. So the price will come down severly in the next two years or so. I did see a few matrix pieces too, so these are definitely coming out of matrix or weathering out of matrix in the desert.

Whats funny is I first suspected Moroccan megs when I purchased a batch of paleolithic tools from Morocco that had been MADE from meg teeth, about 3 years ago. Arrowheads and spearpoints and drills, made from meg teeth, with desert varnish. At that point, I sent out some local searchers to track down where the teeth were coming from and I guess it took about a year and a half to find out, at which point they offered me teeth at $1000 each... I passed. So ya, I'd like to claim some credit for starting searchers on the track of moroccan teeth :) .

Attached is a pic of the original tool lot.

-YvW

post-1163-1234119017_thumb.jpg

At the moment, its a reasonable deal, but as we all know with moroccan fossils, once they see something that makes money, they'll start mining out the ENTIRE LAYER for several kilometers. So the price will come down severly in the next two years or so. I did see a few matrix pieces too, so these are definitely coming out of matrix or weathering out of matrix in the desert.

Whats funny is I first suspected Moroccan megs when I purchased a batch of paleolithic tools from Morocco that had been MADE from meg teeth, about 3 years ago. Arrowheads and spearpoints and drills, made from meg teeth, with desert varnish. At that point, I sent out some local searchers to track down where the teeth were coming from and I guess it took about a year and a half to find out, at which point they offered me teeth at $1000 each... I passed. So ya, I'd like to claim some credit for starting searchers on the track of moroccan teeth :) .

Attached is a pic of the original tool lot.

-YvW

Thats purty dang cool where early man used fossils as tools. and cudos to you for opening up the moroccan meg tooth market.

RB

Here are some better spino teeth that I just came across. These were 3 times the price as all the others I bought, and these still have been repaired, but much better teeth. I just think they are cool teeth and the size is a bit impressive too! I did find some large natural spino teeth that were not repaired, but HOLY COW were they EXPENSIVE!!!!

RB

post-171-1234134399_thumb.jpg

Thats purty dang cool where early man used fossils as tools. and cudos to you for opening up the moroccan meg tooth market.

RB

There's a Moroccan Meg in Gordon Hubbell's collection. I'm not sure just how old it is though.