Where In Tarnation Do I Start?

RJB

I recieved my camera just yesterday. I left it in my buddy's RV while visiting in Quartzite. Anyways, I took almost 100 photos today so im tryin to decide where to start? I guess since there are so many tooth guys here that I will start with the teeth. But again, I bought soooooo many different kinds of teeth, where do I start? I will try to start with the 'lessor' teeth and work up to the 'coo de gra'. Now hows that for spelling? Ha!!!

These first teeth come from Morocco and were found in a box with literally 1000's of these in the box. Most were destroyed or damaged to some degree, but I was able to find 10 good ones. Does anyone know what the heck these are?

RB

post-171-1234033111_thumb.jpg

These next 3 teeth I think are known as Otoduss obliquus (not sure of the spelling), but the only reason I bought these teeth is because of the 'double' cusps on both sides. Everytime I found the Moroccans I went through their boxes and boxes of teeth. Some would not let me do that, so I simply left and went on to another. Its very simple to spot the 'rebuilt' teeth and I didnt bother with those. These teeth are not repaired or rebuilt in any way, and to find one of these 'double' cuspers is very difficult. I searched through many 1000's of teeth just to get these three, but what I was really looking for was the very rare 'three cusper' on each side. I did find one, but one side was destroyed. I almost felt like crying it was so painful!!!

Please excuse my bad picture taking.

RB

post-171-1234033826_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234033872_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234033918_thumb.jpg

I have the name of these in my book, but I dont have my book at the moment. I found these two teeth in a box of about 100 more and these were the best two in the intire box. There is a crack on the larger one, but on the other side, no crack. These are just cooler than you know what!!!

RB

post-171-1234034478_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234034531_thumb.jpg

I didnt even know that Meg teeth came from Morocco until this trip. These are the 5 that I purchased. Not the biggest and not the best, but I dont think that too many folks have these.

RB

post-171-1234035282_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234035321_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234035373_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234035420_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234035465_thumb.jpg

I have the name of these in my book, but I dont have my book at the moment. I found these two teeth in a box of about 100 more and these were the best two in the intire box. There is a crack on the larger one, but on the other side, no crack. These are just cooler than you know what!!!

RB

Palaeocarcharodon orientalis. Very nice specimens too! B)

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

You guys sure know your teeth. These next three are some very large Otodus teeth. I was pokin around in one of the Moroccan tents and saw these 3 in seperate rikor boxes and priced at 100 bucks! I couldnt belive the price, but asked what he would charge me if I bought all three? He said I should wait for his boss, but he said "$10.00." I dont know how I was able to keep my jaw from falling to the floor, but I asked if he would come down in price due to the fact that 2 of them had damage on one cusps. He said "8.00". and with the riker boxes too! I couldnt pick them up fast enough!!! Two of them do have slight damage, but these are very large and have no repair! DAM IM GOOD!!!!! or just lucky? I left there with a great big smile on my face. The biggest one is just under 4 inches!!! Wow!!!

RB

post-171-1234036562_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234036834_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234036932_thumb.jpg

I had to buy the intire box of these to get a super good price and it will probably take me 10 frigin years to sell them all, but get aload of these giants!!! Wow!!!

RB

post-171-1234037354_thumb.jpg

Ok, now for a funny one. This was one of the meanest, nastiest, hungriest, most dangerous fish that ever swam the seas!!! Known as Killerous dangerensis sharpus toothii and could devour other animals 10 times its size!!! Ha!!! Now, you folks tell me what this really is?

RB

post-171-1234037897_thumb.jpg

I had to buy the intire box of these to get a super good price and it will probably take me 10 frigin years to sell them all, but get aload of these giants!!! Wow!!!

RB

If these aren't mosasaur teeth, they sure do look like them. Nice haul on all your buys.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Guest bmorefossil

RB

these would be Palaeocarcharodon orientalis

Guest bmorefossil

very nice teeth, that last thing is Pristiophorus lanceolatus? saw shark, that would be my guess, well maybe not that species but one like it i would guess

I'd agree that the jaw is probably Enchodus libycus, but I'd wonder about it's authenticity. The Moroccan's prepare mosasaur jaws out of loose teeth and bone fragments, and they could have done the same with this piece. Still, it looks impressive. Also, that second batch of Otodus teeth are real monsters. 4" is nearing the max. size for that species. Looks like you had a fun trip

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil

hey RJB after looking at the megs you purchaced the one does not seem to be a meg at all, it could be Carcharocles aksuaticus or even Otodus obliquus mugodzharicus. correct me if im wrong but it does have cusps. Well one cusp the other has broken off

Some beat up spino teeth, but still purty dang cool. Purty dang big too.

RB

the last tooth pictures above is an elasmosaur tooth not spino.

Brock

..."8.00". and with the riker boxes too! I couldnt pick them up fast enough!!! Two of them do have slight damage, but these are very large and have no repair! ...

How'd ya' like to double your money? I'll even let you keep the Rikers! :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok, now for a funny one. This was one of the meanest, nastiest, hungriest, most dangerous fish that ever swam the seas!!! Known as Killerous dangerensis sharpus toothii and could devour other animals 10 times its size!!! Ha!!! Now, you folks tell me what this really is?

RB

I think this one is a little "Morroccan engineering" -- a bunch of enchodus fangs placed on a mosasaur rib.

I did see a few dealers with the Moroccan Megs at Tucson. Mostly they kept asking for $300-$400 for the 5"+.

The problem with the moroccan megs is there is ALOT of repair on them. I only saw 2 or 3 large ones that didn't have any repairs. They are also REALLY REALLY good at the repairs, filling it in with same colored materials and then polishing it to resemble the rest of the tooth. I even saw them repair a tooth by gluing together two broken teeth and sanding it. It took a lot of closeup examinations to figure out the repairs. So be very careful about those.

-YvW

Archived