Bev

I am going to start this from the end, and then you will know why I used this title. :)

Six year old Andreya's first fossil hunt of the year, and within three minutes she says, "Bev, Bev, I found a weird one!"

WOW! I knew it was a trilobite (IDed by Piranha as a Flexicalymene pygidium) and I've got to admit I was :envy: LOL

post-9628-0-42239000-1406856518_thumb.jpg

Of course she wanted a necklace of it in her favorite colors - blue and gold.

So we started the afternoon hunt after lunching at Dairy Queen on the $5 lunch deal at what I call my "Brachiopod" site. A beautiful spot that is out of the way, serene with only the lolling of cows in the distance and the occasional sound of farm machinery from the rise. It was a perfect late July day with highs in the 70s, the fresh air laden with wild flower fragrance and various colorful butterflies punctuating the soft breezes.

I believe this is Maquoketa Shale, but I don't know for sure.

post-9628-0-00328700-1406857059_thumb.jpg

It is not nearly as steep as it looks. It is layered with rock and then kind of muddy fill.

post-9628-0-69898100-1406857237_thumb.jpg

Andreya "on the rocks". :)

post-9628-0-46215600-1406857367_thumb.jpg

Continued...

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

post-9628-0-38331300-1406857508_thumb.jpg

Here she is on the rocks with her FIRST trilobite!!! This is the same little girl who at 5 years old on her FIRST fossil hunt came up with an utterly stunning Halysites Coral in the first 10 feet!!! :envy:

post-9628-0-88151100-1406857690_thumb.jpg

She put me to shame! Such good eyes! Fossils have to be big enough for me to see without my reading glasses, then I have to put on my reading glasses to actually see if they are fossils! My the brachiopods! And when I started really looking at the shelves of rock they are FULL of crinoids and trilobite parts! Almost every shelf! Truly a wondrous site that I had cataloged as just perfect brachs!

I had brought along a laminated copy of my fossil ID sheet and we were laying them on the sheet and identifying them - she can't read yet, but it has pictures. Of course she wanted to find a Hormatoma, but not this trip.

She was getting bored, so we went to a dry wash where all we found were some rough agates about fist size.

Then we hit a Decorah Shale site (I think it is Decorah Shale) and the first rock I picked up had a trilo piece.

post-9628-0-12938300-1406858255_thumb.jpg

But she was bored...

Continued...

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

So then I took her to a river to hunt.

post-9628-0-75078900-1406858341_thumb.jpg

Current was too fast for her to wade. So went a bit upstream.

post-9628-0-69170700-1406858382_thumb.jpg

But it was too muddy... :)

I picked up a couple of interesting water worn hash plates.

Continued...

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Then we went to another river down the road. I picked up several very nice hash plates including two with trilo parts. And Andreya got to wade.

post-9628-0-90918100-1406858564_thumb.jpg

And see raccoon tracks, and pick up fossils and got a little muddy and scratched up and then she wanted to go home. :)

Well, Gia the collie dog always gets a free pup cup at the DQ after a fossil hunt, so we got twist cones. Andreya said she had never had one before and liked it.

Came home and sorted out haul! LOL :D

Grandpa made pizza - everyone is happy!

Continued...

Below - I thought I had maybe found a mammoth tooth, but NOT. :(

post-9628-0-42514800-1406858799_thumb.jpg

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

If you get bored, I'll just take you to a new place! Or Dairy Queen when you are tired. LOL :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Archived