Some Utah Bugs

RJB

I now know what these trilo guys mean by "ghost" bugs. When i went through these and started prepping them, they are all under a bit of rock, I would start to prep one and there would be no shell whatsoever? I tossed about half of my specimens away because of that. But we did get a few nice ones. Most of these are about 1/2 inch or less but the elongated one is about 1 inch. Too bad it has cephelon problems! Dam!!!

RB

post-171-1234038317_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234038371_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234038426_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234038482_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234038532_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice!

The next time you toss some partials, if the cephalon is intact, let me know. I'll take 'em off your hands. ;)

Real nice! Your toss-pile would probably make me drool...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice!

The next time you toss some partials, if the cephalon is intact, let me know. I'll take 'em off your hands. ;)

Hey Solius, these were not partials, I left the partials back at the quarry, but will try to remember you the next time im there.

RB

ok, here is a very strange critter, if a critter at all? This thing is about 1 inch long and has some little tinly bumps all over it. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Weeks Quarry and I think 512 million years old?

RB

post-171-1234098652_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234098707_thumb.jpg

...This thing is about 1 inch long and has some little tinly bumps all over it. Any ideas as to what this could be?

A fossil Frito?

My guess is that it's a part of something; no idea what.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

A fossil Frito?

My guess is that it's a part of something; no idea what.

Very Good Auspex. I just looked in my 'What is this wierd thing' book and it says that this is a Fritoensis chipis. Ha!!!

RB

ok now for the identifications.

pics 1,2, 4 are all cedaria minor, the most common trilo in the weeks,

pic 3 is a menomonia semeli (sp?)

and the last elongate one is a nephalicephalis beebi

the bumpy thing is a part of a Beckwithia typa cephalon, a softbodied trilobitamorph. you can double check my id's at www.weekstrilobites.com

good finds. post more if you have more.

Brock

forgot to mention that there is an inarticulate brachiopod next to the menomonia in pic three. also a nice piece due to the fact that it appears to be on the purple rock.

great stuff.

brock

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! You cleaned up!

Congrats, RB :)

Hi RB! :)

I guess it would be stupid of me to ask if your trip went well, eh, so I wont... Lovely 'bugs' you've got there. You must be well pleased!

Gethin

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "

Thanks everyone. And yeah, I had a super great time. There is nothing that beats eating steaks and potato's over a campfire out in the wilderness with noone around but wildlife after a day of diggin in the dirt and finding new fossils. Well, this trip could have been a bit warmer? But I still have some trilo pics to show. I did a bit of prep on some bugs that i found a couple of years ago in the Drums. I will try and do that tomorrow?

RB