Fossil Or Bone: Maybe Whale Vertabrae

Quatrefoils

Pictured here a what I discovered several years ago while collecting and removing trash from my favorite barrier beach after a huge nor-Easter walloped New England's East coast. It was located well above the wrack line in what appeared to be a wash over point, where the storm surge or excessive rainfall had followed the manmade path. Our goal was to remove trash, and anything that could disrupt barefooted beach traffic and/or official, authorized vehicles. Once back inland, I showed it to our local Wharfing, who simply stated it looked unusual. He agreed it should not have been left where I found. Another person, who overheard our conversation looked at it and suggested it could be a bone or a fossil. When I got home that day, I did some research, made some phone calls, sent some photos to various local and federal organizations, but nothing was really learned and no one got back to me.
My son (now a teenager) noticed it the other day on the mantel where it has been since discovered. His inquiry inspired me to try to learn more about it again. A few hours google(ing) today makes me think it is whale vertebrae. I do not know the difference between bone and fossil which is how I ended up finding this forum. I am concerned about some of what I have read regarding finding fossils and the law, but not even knowing what it is, how would anyone know any better? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

post-16072-0-21891100-1407007279_thumb.jpg

post-16072-0-60014100-1407007279_thumb.jpg

post-16072-0-94332800-1407007279_thumb.jpg

post-16072-0-27240700-1407007280_thumb.jpg

post-16072-0-79901700-1407007280_thumb.jpg

Although I'm not a bone guy, I would hazard a guess that it is a whale atlas vertebra.

Others will weigh in, so, don't take that to the bank yet.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

...I am concerned about some of what I have read regarding finding fossils and the law...

If it is prehistoric, there will be no legal challenge to your possessing it, but if it is from a modern cetacean, it would be contraband.

A quick-but-crude test is to briefly hold a flame to an inconspicuous spot; the smell of burning hair would indicate that bone's collagen is intact, and would suggest that it may not be that old.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you so much for your consideration. Per your reply, I conducted that 'quick-but-crude' test, which resulted in no odor. Further, the flame seems to render nothing; barring heating up the area where applied. I went on to test it in a few more spots with the same results. I hope I have not done anything wrong. It would be rather embarrassing for me to have violated the law since I was once a member of the local police department's beach patrol.

btw; your signature quote is excellent! ... and intend on sharing and crediting.

Edited by Quatrefoils

It does look like a Whale Atlas vert to me as well.

Congrats on the cool find!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Additionally, your atlas vertebra is probably from a balaenopterid whale. It's too big to be a minke whale, but could be from a sei whale, fin whale, or humpback whale based upon its size. It's probably not a gray whale and it's definitely not a right whale/bowhead since the atlas fuses to the other cervicals in a right whale.

I can also confirm that it's not a sperm whale atlas (Physeter) since the neural canal is round and not triangular. Haven't had a chance to check large beaked whales, though.

Edited by Boesse