Mazon Creek Coprolite? Shrimp? Could Use Some Help Please

fossilized6s

This guy popped last week. It's a nodule from pit 11. Im not sure what to make of it. Its a poorly preserved whatsit, that's all i can say. It could be coprolite, with maybe a seed inclusion (see left side half with round "thing" towards the middle right)??? Or it looked kinda shrimpy, but just the tail of a shrimp (but this could be wishful thinking).

I don't know.....

Any help or suggestions is very much appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

post-14584-0-86856700-1407094208_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-05465500-1407094219_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-38297600-1407094234_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

It is kinda shrimp like looking, but at the same time It doesn't look like a normal shrimp that would be found in the area. Interesting to find out what other people have to say about it. Cool find though!

I think you have a syncarid shrimp. Most likely Acanthotelson stimpsoni

Congratulation!

Thanks guys for your input. I appreciate it.

I got my shrimp! Well.....half. haha

It's so poorly preserved though.....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

All the more reason to go net yourself a basket full of better preserved ones this weekend--no, not at Red Lobster...

If you all remember to bring a camera (or smartphone) try to take some snaps of your outing this weekend. Love to see some area photos and in situ images as that's how I'll have to experience Mazon Creek till I get back up there (besides the bucket of stubborn nodules in my garage of course).

Like the new avatar image--chip off the old block.

Cheers.

-Ken

I'll try Ken. It's pretty tough to snap pics while your hanging from small trees with one hand on some of those vertical walls, trying to uncover nods in the grass with the other. Lol

Pit 11 is almost worse hunting then pit 2 just because of the bugs! I had four big ticks on me and four tiny ticks I've never seen before. They were so small that i didn't find all of them until the whole next week. And one was in-situ in very precarious spot......hahaha......ohh the horror.....

But.....it is pretty cool to just walk around and pick the nods up though, instead of digging a 5ft. plus hole. ;) The ratio of a fossil being inside is WAY lower. Id say pit 11 has a 1 in 20, Pit 2 has a 1 in 5. And that's not even well preserved one's.

I'll definitely see what i can do with a trip report sir.

~Charlie~

Ah, you are going to the South Unit to do some fossil rappelling (aka abseiling for our German and British readers). Sounds like you need a head-mounted HD GoPro so you can upload your exploits onto YouTube.

It makes sense you are going to the Essex Biota formation if you are looking for shrimps. Fingers crossed for success.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken for the kind words. Hopefully my new "Avatar" will be as enthusiastic about fossils as his old man!

My best finds from the South unit have come from already popped ones, surprisingly enough. And when i was there i noticed a few holes where people were digging...ugh. God i hope they don't ruin this amazing opportunity for the rest of us!

~Charlie~

Charlie, any chance you'll be fossil hunting on Tues, Aug 19? (I imagine you're probably working that day.) That is the day I'll be passing through and I'm planning to hunt at the state park (pit 11). I'm looking forward to it!

Zach

New to fossils, but not to nature

Archived