Whale Atlas (?) & Shark Teeth

scubapro67

Just finished some diving off the SE coast of NC in 85-95 feet of water on a limestone ledge popular with shark teeth hunters. I've attached some of my finds, and would be grateful for any feedback on anything that is noteworthy (still fairly new to this!).

I also found what I believe is a whale atlas vertebra (not complete), as the area we find the teeth in has a lot of whale bone fragments also. Thus, could someone try and positively identify this? Measures approximately 10 x 7 x 3 inches.

Also, is there anywhere I could get some of the more damaged teeth and the whale vertebra restored? And what might the cost run to?

Duncan.

post-16100-0-11556400-1407245996_thumb.jpg

post-16100-0-88668300-1407245996_thumb.jpg

post-16100-0-20298300-1407245998_thumb.jpg

post-16100-0-33044700-1407245999_thumb.jpg

post-16100-0-74275900-1407246000_thumb.jpg

I don´t know that much about shark teeth or whale stuff (i´m a reptile-type guy) but from comparing some of your stuff to some of my stuff it appears like you´ve found some Megalodon and/or Great White teeth. Nice finds! :)

Your object does appear to be whale's atlas vertebra.

Nice mess of teeth!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice haul!!

Im not a shark tooth expert, but i think your first two look like pathological Megs. And the rest look like Megs also, except for the smaller thin one looks like a Mako (if it has serations it's a Meg, if not, Mako). I hope the shark tooth experts will chime-in and confirm or let you know what you really have. That way we can all learn a little somethin'.

I agree with your Whale Atlas vert ID. Pretty cool!

And personally, i wouldn't restore any of these. Use these as your motivation to keep on looking for that perfect one, not to say these aren't good pieces in their own right.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Great haul, congrats! I too wouldn't worry about repairing the teeth, I doubt you would recoup your investment if you decided to sell them at some point even if they look great because of them being restored : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

First two are Paratodus, rather than patho megs.

Thanks for the correction. I've learned something new.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

As already said before I would leave them as they are. Well you post photos with some thing for the sizes of the teeth. Yes the first two are Parotodus benedeni teeth and they look very nice. George

Many thanks for the quick responses! Noted on avoiding the restoration and needing some measurement reference.

Believe the smaller brown teeth are Carcharoden Angustidens....?

Anyone able to narrow the whale vertebra to a particular Miocene species?

Duncan.

...Anyone able to narrow the whale vertebra to a particular Miocene species?...

This recent topic should shed some light on the subject, particularly boesse's reply (post #6): LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

So many megs, bravo ! First two are from Parotodus benedeni a rare pelagic mackerel shark from Mio/Pliocene, an Otodontidae Considered as related to C. megalodon, whose precise origins are not completely clear yet. i think that the brown teeth with very residual lateral cusplets are from juveniles Carcharocles megalodon or C. chubutensis, his predecessor. The thinner one in this group is from Isurus oxyrhinchus, i can't see clearly the one on his left so i'm not sure of it, the one down on the left without dental lunula could be a C. carcharias but i can't see it clearly.

Wow! Two really nice Benedenis, a bunch of Megs, a few Makos, and a whale atlas to boot, I gotta go dive with you! Very impressive haul, congrats!!!

Jay

Archived