13 Cm Mysterious Carnivore Tooth With Root From Java

-Andy-

Hi all,

Here is a large tooth with root from Solo River of Java, Indonesia that is supposedly 1.8 million to 200,000 years old.

It is identified only as being a carnivorous tooth. My guess would be a crocodile.

Anyone can help shed more light on this?

Thank you!

post-4888-0-06308300-1407338720_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-99100000-1407338720_thumb.jpg

Edited by -Andy-

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I made an edit.

After consulting the seller, he said that he actually wasn't sure if it's a mammal tooth.

As it is, he thought it could be crocodile as well.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

It looks similar to a Whale tooth, but the root is too small and actually tapers in....

No guesses Harry?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Here's another 2 pic

post-4888-0-47237900-1407583099_thumb.jpgpost-4888-0-42190500-1407583101_thumb.jpg

The first task is to find an account of the carnivores of the Plio-Pleistocene Solo River deposits. A tiger is one possibility, but just a possibility.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Pinniped of some sort?

It does resemble sea lion teeth to me. But I can't imagine there being any sea lions on Java.

The first task is to find an account of the carnivores of the Plio-Pleistocene Solo River deposits. A tiger is one possibility, but just a possibility.

Yeah tiger is possible.

The only large predator I know that existed on Solo River are crocodiles.

Harry,

There is an early tiger and at least one species of hyena known from there but apparently no canids. It looks a little water-worn so it may be more slender than it was. I think I have a paper on that - will check.

I agree that it is not a crocodile tooth. I've seen a big croc tooth from there before. Some of those Javan fossils used to show up at shows (extinct hippo teeth and deer teeth mostly).

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

A 5-inch Canine.

I have a large Jaguar Canine -- looks something like this and it is 2.6 inches. A friend has a 3.5 inch Jaguar Canine.

Large Predator -- Cave Bear ? Tiger ? Lion ?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

A 5-inch Canine.

I have a large Jaguar Canine -- looks something like this and it is 2.6 inches. A friend has a 3.5 inch Jaguar Canine.

Large Predator -- Cave Bear ? Tiger ? Lion ?

I will get a better idea once I have it in my hands.

Whatever it is though, it must have been a pretty incredible predator.

You are buying this sight-unseen? In the images in post #5, the root of this canine appears

unnatural . . . painted, restored. The root is too long for the crown, and that is what has been

giving us trouble. That's my best assessment after reflection.

• I found this Informative 1

What seest thou else

You are buying this sight-unseen? In the images in post #5, the root of this canine appears

unnatural . . . painted, restored. The root is too long for the crown, and that is what has been

giving us trouble. That's my best assessment after reflection.

I agree that it is a questionable fossil.

But I will only truly know after I have my hands on it. Besides, I am not paying alot for it.

I agree that the authenticity of this tooth is questionable. I'd ask a paleontologist.

• 2 weeks later...

The tooth arrived....split in two.

Well the minor good news is that now I can better know if this is a genuine tooth.

Here's some pics.

post-4888-0-46843000-1409242130_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-14052400-1409242133_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-32422500-1409242134_thumb.jpg

Honestly, it looks like a Gator or Croc tooth with a fake root attached. Don't take my word for it at all. That's just my impression.

What did the seller say it was?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Honestly, it looks like a Gator or Croc tooth with a fake root attached. Don't take my word for it at all. That's just my impression.

He isn't sure at all.

He would like to think its a croc tooth, but he says the size and form is wrong.

At best, he would say it's a mammal.

Both ends are quite heavy.

Andy can you take a picture directly into the broken end of the root. If you lightly tap the root with a solid object is the sound even all around? What's the texture look like to you, Real, fabricated or don't know?

Andy can you take a picture directly into the broken end of the root. If you lightly tap the root with a solid object is the sound even all around? What's the texture look like to you, Real, fabricated or don't know?

The object actually feels identical throughout. While the texture could be carved from wood, it also feels like it could be a real tooth. I mean, it certainly looks and feel better than many of the fabricated Moroccan teeth out there.

I agree it could also be a croc tooth with a fake root, here's another pic.

post-4888-0-42541900-1409574849_thumb.jpg

I think I agree with others that its as fake root but I've never seen one that was restored with an interior looking like that. The crown looks like a croc. Interesting to say the least.

Can't really say much more about this root. Is the interior filling a fine sand with a binder?

One more observation is that the ostensible pulp cavity is waaay too big for a mammal canine of this size; but, it is about right to match with the conical cavity of crocodilian tooth.

I tweeked your image, Andy, to brighten the interior cross-section.

post-42-0-22454400-1409595217_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

Another expert has also told me that he believes this is a croc tooth attached to a fake root.

I can't help but wonder though, was this tooth intentionally made in the likeness of a tiger canine?

As far as I am aware, exceptionally large specimens of Siamese crocs and Tigers are the only large carnivores present in prehistoric Java.

I agree, it appears to be a badly faked mammal canine, in reality being a croc tooth with polished bone glued onto the base.

First off, there is the large root cavity. Then, there is the filler apparentely inserted into the root of the tooth.

Also, there are no plio-pleistocene cetaceans, pinnipeds or big cats with canines large enough to fit the bill from Java so far as I know.

Granted, I do not know much about Java, but that is my conclusion from the limited amount of knowledge I have about that area.

My advice to get proper identification is to contact paleontologists who have studied the vertebrate biota of plio-pleistocene Java,

and ask them to examine the tooth.

Edited by Coelacanth