Thoughts On This Tooth From Khourigba

megabass22

Hello everyone :)

I recently saw this video on YouTube:

And i looked at this mosasaur tooth i have from Khourigba (Morocco):

It appears to have at least some bone fragments inside it aswell:
Since my question is about fossil preparation, i thought that it would go into this forum, move it if i´m wrong.
I thought that it would be intriguing to "prep" into the rock (though it might be an extremely bad idea, i don´t know), and see what i could find in there (except for the obvious mosasaur tooth). The guy in the video used "A tooth brush, water and a scriber", would that be a good way to do it? Would one remove all the sandstone?
I do know that these teeth are sometimes added to non-associated matrix (though i don´t know why), could this be problematic if one would prep into the rock?
Thanks for any answers :)

I've played around with moroccan matrix and all I've used is an Xacto knife "scribe" and dental pick. Just work slowly always away from a specimen. If you are lucky there are other fossils but they are not always present. The concern on your tooth is if there is a fracture in it and the matrix is actually holding together, just be careful. Also if it was added you will find some type of glue that a solvent could remove but I don't think that is the case with your tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

I hadn´t noticed the fracture until i took the picture! I don´t know if i´ll actually do it, and in any case i won´t do it in a while (busy and stuff), but it sounded like a fun project. The matrix is 10 cm across and roughly 5 cm thick, since you seem familiar with the moroccan matrix, how long would it take? Or does that depend?

I am awaiting the delivery of a Zarafasaura plesiosaur tooth (also in matrix) with what appears to be A LOT of bones and stuff, so i might try my luck on that aswell.

Time? Well it all depends how hard the matrix is and how many other items are in there. It is a fun project.

• I found this Informative 1

My plesiosaur tooth arrived! Looking at the Matrix i included pictures of all the other fossils i could find in it (without prepping), i don´t know if i´ll prep it though, it does look kinda good as it is.