Visiting Japan, Any Recommendations For Fossil-Related Activities?

Han.T

Hello all,

I will be going to Japan(specifically Tokyo, Nara and Osaka prefectures) on a free & easy trip end of this month, and was hoping if anyone on TFF can share with me if there are places to go for fossil-related activities. I have heard that the National Science Museum in Tokyo and Natural History Museum in Osaka are worth visiting, any reviews? I am also hoping to pay a visit to any markets or shops that are known for offering fossil material(too bad the Tokyo Mineral show is not on!). I am not sure if Japan has dig-tours for tourists, would really like to get in on one too!

Thank you all for your time! :)

Han

The Singaporean Fossil Collectors Group, come join us here today!

Oh lord, i too think about fossil-related activities when i travel. When i went to Berlin i had decided i had to visit the Natural History Museum (Museum fur Naturkunde) aswell as the only rock shop the Internet dug up for me.

Though i know nothing about Tokyo :)

Good luck :)

The National Science Museum in Tokyo is world class. They even sell a lot of their own scientific publications in their gift shop. I haven't found any rock/mineral/fossil shops in Tokyo yet, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

Haha, I always seek Paleo-related stuff whenever I travel, as there is little opportunity for such activities locally. I will definitely set aside some time for the National Science museum, thank you for the heads up John! :)

The Singaporean Fossil Collectors Group, come join us here today!