Insect Fossil From Liaoning Province China

Melissawow

Here is an insect fossil I got lately. It is from the Liaoning province in China.

I'll like to know what kind of insect this is.

Thanks. :)

post-14852-0-56445800-1407644503_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

looks like a beetle or maybe some kind of planthopper or barklouse. but VERY nice anyway.

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

How old is it?

To me it looks like a cross between a beetle (front end) and a cicada (wings) lol. Cool specimen though.

Edited by Paleoworld-101

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

The Liaoning fossil insect beds are lower Cretaceous.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Beautiful! Looks like a Leaf -hopper Though i need an outside photo and with the head part in focus which my be difficult without a macro set-up :) Need to see the eye's, head shape and antenna in detail for more confident ID.

Thanks heaps for posting! i LOVE insects and their fossil selves :D

• 7 years later...
On 8/10/2014 at 5:50 PM, Jace said:

Beautiful! Looks like a Leaf -hopper Though i need an outside photo and with the head part in focus which my be difficult without a macro set-up :) Need to see the eye's, head shape and antenna in detail for more confident ID.

Thanks heaps for posting! i LOVE insects and their fossil selves :D

leafhoppers? I don't recall any growing that BIG. Remind me of stoneflies. After all their lifecycles are also near water bodies.