fossilized6s

Here are a couple of my Franken-fossils--just in time for Holloween. Some of the nodules were pretty weathered and when they split open they would fragment into small pieces. If the pieces were large enough and I could keep track of all of them I'd do a little reassembly to see what the resulting fossil looks like. If they were pretty beat-up they likely don't make it to the table with the rest of my finds but some of them seem worthy of holding onto.

-Ken

post-7713-0-76007800-1413226415_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-65399400-1413226418_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah! Nice ferns sir! Beautiful contrast on those guys!

When my ferns or fauna nods break into pieces i glue them back together with regular super glue (non gel) from the back of the piece and let the glue seep into the crack a bit, but not too much. If you dab too much glue on it you will see it on the fossil side. And dats no good.

A bunch of my pieces have broke "undesirably", but have came out nice using this technique.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

• 2 weeks later...

Nice ones, Vball!

That Tully has a lot of detail on it I haven't seen before.

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Here are couple nice ones that were collected in the 60's from pit11

Very cool! Are these personal finds?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

No not personal finds a family friend got me started collecting in the 80's & gave these to me. I think his family still has a rock shop back there somewhere Dave's fossil Museum or something. Anyway He and his Dad collected these in the mid 60's before I was born I know this because they dated a couple of them and what pit they were found. I also have a horseshoe crab, tummy toothed worm, clam & a couple of different ferns but I don't have any pics of those yet.

Thanks Tim, The Tully really does have unbelievable detail I can't believe He gave this to me. I do remember he did have at least one complete one with the claw. I think he had a few others with the claw but missing parts of the tail.

I guess at the time they thought the ones with the claw were the most desirable. Little did he know that they would become much harder to find in the future.

Mike

I found one of the coolest Mazon flora tonight!

It's an absolute GIANT very well preserved seed!!!

I had to do a bit of surgical work and glue her back together, but here she is.

Trigonocarpus

post-14584-0-07493900-1414221446_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-54929400-1414221460_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-87383900-1414221505_thumb.jpg

Edit: For ID

~Charlie~

Are you sure that's not the avocado that I left in the back of your car when I was up there in June? ;)

Off on another coral reef mission tomorrow--the nodules soaking in the bucket in my garage will have an extended bath before I'm able to resume the freeze/thaw cycles in December when I'm back. Would love to see one of the larger nods give me an early Christmas present....

Looking forward to seeing what treasures you've saved from Pit 11.

Cheers.

-Ken

Are you sure that's not the avocado that I left in the back of your car when I was up there in June? ;)

Off on another coral reef mission tomorrow--the nodules soaking in the bucket in my garage will have an extended bath before I'm able to resume the freeze/thaw cycles in December when I'm back. Would love to see one of the larger nods give me an early Christmas present....

Looking forward to seeing what treasures you've saved from Pit 11.

Cheers.

-Ken

It does look like an avocado. It's so nicely preserved that it looks like i could plant it and a 300mya tree would pop up!

Good luck on the expedition sir!

Looks like a nice Trigonocarpus seed!

Thanks Rob, that's exactly what i was thinking.

Is the darker areas the epidermal layer?

~Charlie~

• 4 months later...

A couple members and i got to stretch our legs and go for a hunt this past Sunday. And it was rough. Haha! Old Man Winter really did a number on my cardio. Im still a bit sore. We really didn't find as much as we usually do, but i did find some pretty cool opened stuff. All in all i collected about three dozen or so nodules. All of them look fossil bearing. Even better, most are small and oval. Just the size for my first insect! Fingers crossed....

Here's a decently preserved Lobetelson mclaughlinae

post-14584-0-51767600-1426648314_thumb.jpg

Coprolite

post-14584-0-71520600-1426648452_thumb.jpg

Unknown bark impression covered in leaf scars (im guessing)

post-14584-0-30994800-1426648524_thumb.jpg

A rare Mariopteris speciosa (my first)

post-14584-0-40989200-1426648685_thumb.jpg

And my best find of the day! And my best example to date.

Annularia radiata (showing six whorls)

post-14584-0-11352900-1426648965_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-71127300-1426648985_thumb.jpg

Not a bad day. At least we finally got to hunt a bit!

Edit: i also found about two dozen Jellys. I also may have found my first fish scale or insect wing shell. The texture suggests both, but it could just be a bivalve. This measures 3/4" x1/4".

post-14584-0-80421800-1426658228_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

Great finds--sounds like you had fun. Love the Annularia. Those are a favorite of mine (probably since I only have a few). Still looking for a killer one like I've seen in books or online with nice contrast and definition. Been checking the weather back in the Chicagoland area and it looks like winter is finally loosening its grip on the region so I expect we'll be seeing the results of more of your outings to the Mazon Creek area soon.

Planning on making it up to the area sometime in June and hoping to get out for some more nodule mania. Will contact you when plans are firming up.

Cheers.

-Ken

A couple members and i got to stretch our legs and go for a hunt this past Sunday. And it was rough. Haha! Old Man Winter really did a number on my cardio. Im still a bit sore. We really didn't find as much as we usually do, but i did find some pretty cool opened stuff. All in all i collected about three dozen or so nodules. All of them look fossil bearing. Even better, most are small and oval. Just the size for my first insect! Fingers crossed....

Here's a decently preserved Lobetelson mclaughlinae

attachicon.gifIMG_20150317_202450.jpg

A horribly preserved Tully monster (only defining piece is the eye bar)

attachicon.gifIMG_20150317_204515.jpg

Coprolite

attachicon.gifIMG_20150317_204554.jpg

Unknown bark impression covered in leaf scars (im guessing)

attachicon.gifIMG_20150317_204653.jpg

A rare Mariopteris speciosa (my first)

attachicon.gifIMG_20150317_202620.jpg

And my best find of the day! And my best example to date.

Annularia radiata (showing six whorls)

attachicon.gifIMG_20150317_202537.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20150317_202725.jpg

Not a bad day. At least we finally got to hunt a bit!

Edit: i also found about two dozen Jellys. I also may have found my first fish scale or insect wing shell. The texture suggests both, but it could just be a bivalve. This measures 3/4" x1/4".

attachicon.gifIMG_20150318_003819.jpg

compliments beautiful

Great finds--sounds like you had fun. Love the Annularia. Those are a favorite of mine (probably since I only have a few). Still looking for a killer one like I've seen in books or online with nice contrast and definition. Been checking the weather back in the Chicagoland area and it looks like winter is finally loosening its grip on the region so I expect we'll be seeing the results of more of your outings to the Mazon Creek area soon.

Planning on making it up to the area sometime in June and hoping to get out for some more nodule mania. Will contact you when plans are firming up.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, Ken.

To find the biggins', we'll have to dig up a certain golf course, where pit 1 once was. Bring your ninja gear.....shhhhh

Haha! Yeah, be sure to let me know.

compliments beautiful

Thank you, Michele.

~Charlie~

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Mazon yesterday, solo. First it sleet on me, then rained. It made for a very soggy, cold and dangerous hunt. I looked like i rolled in mud when all was said and done. Haha

I did find the most fossiliferous hill in the South Unit though! The variety and amount of material that i found there was nothing short of amazing. They're not the biggest nods, but big isn't always better.

Surprisingly i keep finding a lot of flora. The Essex deposit is not known for this. It's strange.

post-14584-0-91047900-1427728214_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-11092500-1427728224_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-50132600-1427728234_thumb.jpg

Shrimp molts

post-14584-0-19018000-1427728247_thumb.jpg

A rare two associated Octomedusa and one solo (finding two-three of these in one day is crazy rare)

post-14584-0-89180400-1427728262_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite finds and a first (three to break the ice)! Escumasia roryi or "Y".

post-14584-0-11231400-1427728272_thumb.jpg

And my two best finds of the day. Im still not 100% on the IDs. But i believe i have two Mayomyzon pieckoensis' (lamprey fish).

post-14584-0-09085000-1427728291_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-81485800-1427728281_thumb.jpg

These all came from "the hill". Im pumped! I also found a bunch of the usual suspects.

Edit: please help with the fish IDs if you can. Thanks.

~Charlie~

I would say you were incredibly lucky but I know better than that. Luck is attracted to skill, knowledge and planning and those paid off for you in spades!

:envy:

-Ken

I would have to call this excursion massively successful!

Way to go!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would say you were incredibly lucky but I know better than that. Luck is attracted to skill, knowledge and planning and those paid off for you in spades!

:envy:

-Ken

Thanks Ken. For hours i found practically nothing. It was cold and wet, but i was determined to fill my quota. Haha! With hunting Mazon, determination is key. If you don't get poked in the eyes several times you're not doing it right. Also the addition of my new secret hunting gear was amazing for crawling around in the brush! I can't wait to go back!

I would have to call this excursion massively successful!

Way to go!

Thanks Chas. It was very successful. Hopefully the complete nods i collected are housing some awesome pieces as well.

~Charlie~

This just popped tonight. I believe it's a single Alethopteris serli pinnule, but I'm not 100% on that. So if you know, please enlighten me. ;)

It's not the coolest of cool, but the preservation and contrast is pretty amazing.

post-14584-0-11351700-1428120033_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-49081300-1428120054_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

Sweet! I love nodules that you don't have to squint and turn your head at and angle to catch the light just right and then guess what it is. A bold, in your face high-contrast fern pinnule is a great reward for the effort of freeze/thaw.

Cheers.

-Ken

Definatly Alethopteris Serli. I just had one open from my trip last month to Pit 11.

...It's not the coolest of cool, but the preservation and contrast is pretty amazing.

It's a spectacular showpiece :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sweet! I love nodules that you don't have to squint and turn your head at and angle to catch the light just right and then guess what it is. A bold, in your face high-contrast fern pinnule is a great reward for the effort of freeze/thaw.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken. I know what you mean. I love it when they're easy to see (that way i don't look crazy when trying to describe what it is to a noob).

Definatly Alethopteris Serli. I just had one open from my trip last month to Pit 11.

Thanks Rob. I like how these usual preserve inflated, giving wonderful dimension to the piece.

It's a spectacular showpiece :wub:

Thanks Chas. It's definitely going in my cabinet.

~Charlie~

• 3 weeks later...

Rob Russell and I ventured out to pit 11 yesterday despite the rainy prediction. We did ok when it was nice. But then the heavens opened and let us have it. Rob decided to call it a day when the rain hit, plus he was kicking my butt anyway, so i don't blame him. I decided to stay. I've been wet before, and i knew there was a nice dry pair of clothes waiting for me in my car. With the two and a half hour drive each way to and from Mazon, i don't give up easily.

It's strange, it seems like this is the year of the plant for me.

Annularia

post-14584-0-80514000-1429572574_thumb.jpg

Immature fern

post-14584-0-71403500-1429572588_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-71645500-1429572624_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-70967000-1429572611_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-68974800-1429572639_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-79960700-1429572666_thumb.jpg

Here's a strange unknown. It may be a large Sea Cucumber

post-14584-0-49010900-1429572692_thumb.jpg

Worm

post-14584-0-09817800-1429572706_thumb.jpg

Shrimp molt

post-14584-0-69302900-1429572717_thumb.jpg

Coprolite

post-14584-0-31643300-1429572729_thumb.jpg

And my best find of the day (that was open). I had to prep out all of the edges about a 1/4". It came out very nice. I wanted to put it up for IFOTM, but the entries are just too strong this month.

Macroneuropteris scheuchzeri

post-14584-0-51322700-1429572741_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-40781900-1429572757_thumb.jpg

All in all it was a soggy, but great and much needed day (not only to stretch the legs, but my mind too). I feel at home in nature. It's my therapy.

~Charlie~

Best kind of therapy I can think of--and it looks like you slayed it!

Quite the spectacular selection of nods for just seeing the naturally opened ones. I'm assuming you stocked up on additional nods to keep a shelf in your freezer occupied for some time.

Finalizing dates for heading up your way in June. The areas you've been hunting may be too overgrown by then but I'm sure there will be some places to hunt. Heading off for my morning dives out here on the Great Chagos Bank but thinking ahead and dreaming of fern pinnules and marine worms.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived