fossilized6s

Oh i found tons of whole nods to freeze/thaw. I can't wait to see what's waiting to be discovered. I picked up about 300+. I hope my insect is in there......

We'll see what it looks like when you come up. I'm sure I'll be hunting pit 11 all year.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I find it strange that more people don't find these finds intriguing. The variety alone is what gets me. And the preservation on some Mazon material is simply jaw dropping. I know it's not Dino or giant shark material. But what Mazon lacks in size, it makes up for in diversity and preservation.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

I find it strange that more people don't find these finds intriguing. The variety alone is what gets me. And the preservation on some Mazon material is simply jaw dropping. I know it's not Dino or giant shark material. But what Mazon lacks in size, it makes up for in diversity and preservation.

Well said. Some of the Mazon Creek specimens suffer from lack of contrast and end up being rather like Rorschach tests to see what fossils you see in the nodules but others are really bold and well preserved. The diversity is also what intrigues me when sifting in the Peace River. The fact that you can find terrestrial, fresh water, and marine fossils all mixed into a single sifting screen always keeps things lively. You've been finding quite the diversity in Pit 11 lately.

Can't wait to get up there and do some hunting myself.

Cheers.

-Ken

They should just rename to Charlies Creek...lol.Did you take the canoe out?

...I'm back.

They should just rename to Charlies Creek...lol.Did you take the canoe out?

No, not yet. Maybe next time I'll take the canoe out.

I'm just more visible with my finds, there are those that find awesome stuff and a lot of it, they just don't share them as willing as i. I'm still excited finding these things! I found a decent shrimp last night in my newest batch.

~Charlie~

I hope to photograph dozens of fossils I've found at mazon; over the last year or so, in the near future. The problem being sacrificing hunting time to take pictures. I'm not sure that's an option.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

This beauty just popped for me tonight!

It's not the best in my collection, but it's a close second! Nice size too.

Lobetelson mclaughlinae

post-14584-0-91454500-1429944396_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-51422400-1429944412_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-50969200-1429944426_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

Rob Russell and I ventured out to pit 11 yesterday despite the rainy prediction. We did ok when it was nice. But then the heavens opened and let us have it. Rob decided to call it a day when the rain hit, plus he was kicking my butt anyway, so i don't blame him. I decided to stay. I've been wet before, and i knew there was a nice dry pair of clothes waiting for me in my car. With the two and a half hour drive each way to and from Mazon, i don't give up easily.

It's strange, it seems like this is the year of the plant for me.

Annularia

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_172702.jpg

Immature fern

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_172754.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_173029.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_172846.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_173126.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_173211.jpg

Here's a strange unknown. It may be a large Sea Cucumber

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_172940.jpg

Worm

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_173257.jpg

Shrimp molt

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_174821.jpg

Coprolite

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_173644.jpg

And my best find of the day (that was open). I had to prep out all of the edges about a 1/4". It came out very nice. I wanted to put it up for IFOTM, but the entries are just too strong this month.

Macroneuropteris scheuchzeri

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_173401.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20150420_173538.jpg

All in all it was a soggy, but great and much needed day (not only to stretch the legs, but my mind too). I feel at home in nature. It's my therapy.

Wonderful material Charlie. Congrats! Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

Thanks, Chris. PM me if you ever find your way up here, and we'll go for a hunt.

~Charlie~

I had a nice Cyclus (fish lice) open for me last night. This is only my second example of this strange crab like creature. Most of the arms aren't present, but everything else has preserved quite nicely.

post-14584-0-80316000-1430057323_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-01531800-1430057338_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-19428700-1430057354_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

• 2 weeks later...

These popped tonight.

My first insect.

Euphoberis sp.

post-14584-0-71260300-1431072125_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-58997000-1431072146_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-60523000-1431072159_thumb.jpg

And a large unidentified shrimp that is almost solid Calcite. It's preservation is a bit funny, and puzzling. The top portion of the shrimp has been exposed. But there aren't any clear body segments as one usually sees with shrimp (especially large shrimp). Really the only way i identified this as a shrimp was the unmistakable fan tail. That being said, i haven't a clue on species.

post-14584-0-31415500-1431072173_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

Nice! Glad to see the locations we've been hunting are productive. Now I'm itching to start working my material.

Get crackin'!

Life is like Mazon nodules, ya' never know whatcha' gunna get.

~Charlie~

Finally, a fern. This was collected from Fossil campground on 4/2/15, a rainy Thursday morning. It popped open last night. I'm really happy about it, it's everything I had been hoping for. :)

post-17641-0-29323300-1431701904_thumb.jpg post-17641-0-01322100-1431701923_thumb.jpg post-17641-0-39218500-1431701941_thumb.jpg

Congratulations, it's nice when the tip is still attached. Nice little fern! Thanks for posting.

~Charlie~

Finally, a fern. This was collected from Fossil campground on 4/2/15, a rainy Thursday morning. It popped open last night. I'm really happy about it, it's everything I had been hoping for. :)

That's how it starts--now you're hooked. ;)

I can still remember my first fern.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks! :D Yes I fear I could become addicted! especially to flora :drool:

Jann

Very nice, Jann! . Congratulations!

I went for a hunt today. I did OK. I found some new species for my collection. I'm pleased.

Here are a handful of my nicer finds.

I found two nice shrimp.

post-14584-0-01624500-1432443873_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-91446100-1432443889_thumb.jpg

My first, and I think this is a Palaeocaris typus (syncarid shrimp). If anyone can help me ID this for sure, I would surely appreciate it.

post-14584-0-81512700-1432444388_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-58978100-1432444402_thumb.jpg

My first Hystriciola delicatula (annelid worm)

post-14584-0-91119300-1432444550_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-79004600-1432444563_thumb.jpg

My first and a rare Neuropteris fimbriata

post-14584-0-79845300-1432444754_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-10721100-1432444775_thumb.jpg

A decent bit of Annularia radiata

post-14584-0-31653900-1432444912_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

Nice haul for your hard effort! Congrats!

Way to go Charlie.

Great variety with some enviable finds there. I bet you enjoyed getting back out and hunting.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice finds!

The Neuropteris fimbriata is a nice example of a rarer plant.

I would agree that the shrimp appears to be P. Typus.

I would need to see a better image of the tail to be sure.

Nice haul for your hard effort! Congrats!

Thanks, Rob. Yeah, it was one of my tougher hunts. It actually became "not fun" for a bit. But I think I was just pissy from not eating anything all day, and maybe a few too many branches to the face. Hahaha!

Way to go Charlie.

Great variety with some enviable finds there. I bet you enjoyed getting back out and hunting.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, Ken. It was nice to get out there. Just being in nature is wonderful. All of the trees are in bloom and it's like your hunting in a perfume cloud with flower buds raining down. It's quite pleasing to the senses. Believe me, I took my time and smelt all of the roses. :)

Nice finds!

The Neuropteris fimbriata is a nice example of a rarer plant.

I would agree that the shrimp appears to be P. Typus.

I would need to see a better image of the tail to be sure.

Thank you very much, RC. I'll try and get that, but unfortunately the tail hasn't preserved the best.

~Charlie~

I recently had this guy pop open. It's my first, and my best find from the ESCONI hill, Braceville. Ironically it's named after ESCONI. Haha

The jaws are preserved quite nicely.

Esconites zelus

post-14584-0-81333200-1432484494_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-59450700-1432484520_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~