fossilized6s

Gorgeous horseshoe Charlie. Still on my bucket list--maybe next spring.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, Ken. I hope to uncover the tail. But I've been hesitant to start prepping that part, as I'm afraid I'll burn through it.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks, guys. I appreciate that.

My search of the elusive Mazon Insect continues.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Nicely prepped horseshoe crab! I find the tiny Mazon Creek fossils to be my favorites, that minute fern is a delight.

Thank you. I like the idea of possibly making those ferns into women's earrings, necklace or ring. It's the perfect size and highly detailed.

~Charlie~

I thought this was kind of neat. I love fossils that tell a story, no matter how short it may be.

A piece of wood (now petrified) was jammed into this fern during burial. It didn't damage the fern, but the pinnules just folded to accommodate it's new entombed roommate.

post-14584-0-67157700-1450062205_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-84504500-1450062216_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-63859800-1450062227_thumb.jpg

Also, a decent Lepidostrobophyllum popped for me.

post-14584-0-13090900-1450062237_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-62730100-1450062246_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

Animated plane fossils are always a surprise; it does not happen often, but provides a connection to our present when it does.

Kind of a "Wow, these are real" moment.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 months later...

Finally, Mazon is open! I've went twice so far. Here are some of my better finds.

Peachocaris strongi

post-14584-0-75856100-1458586795_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-52115100-1458586853_thumb.jpg

Aviculopecten mazonensis

post-14584-0-76908200-1458586919_thumb.jpg

Continued.....

~Charlie~

Didontogaster cordylina

post-14584-0-79686400-1458587058_thumb.jpg

Kallidecthes richardsoni

post-14584-0-66536100-1458587129_thumb.jpg

Continued

~Charlie~

Lobetelson mclaughlinae

post-14584-0-65228800-1458587269_thumb.jpg

Cyclus americanus

post-14584-0-56028200-1458587364_thumb.jpg

Cyperites

post-14584-0-49651700-1458587420_thumb.jpg

Continued.....

~Charlie~

And my absolute best of this year so far, and my best example of this species to date. This thing is a stunner. I don't know what it is about fossilized leaves, but i love em'.

The fossil is 4 3/8" long!

Macroneuropteris macrophylla

post-14584-0-49581000-1458587851_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

That last one is a stunner.... Well done....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thank you, Steve. Unfortunately the tip is distorted and i had to prep that part out. Not easy....

~Charlie~

Wow, the contrast and color on that last one is great. I've got my first batch of Mazonia nodules in the freezer now, I can't wait for them to start splitting.

Wow, the contrast and color on that last one is great. I've got my first batch of Mazonia nodules in the freezer now, I can't wait for them to start splitting.

Good luck. Don't get too impatient and start hammering them. After 30 cycles or so you can use thee ol' nod opener.

~Charlie~

Nice stuff, Charlie! I need to get my opened finds through a vinegar bath to see what lies beneath! I can only hope they produce half of those nice fossils you've found out there! Congrats bud!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

• 1 month later...

I was lucky enough to find my first 95% complete horseshoe crab (tail and all). It's covered in pyrite which looks pretty neat, but i hope it doesn't rot over time and destroy this little gem.

post-14584-0-62303500-1461723046_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

I was lucky enough to find my first 95% complete horseshoe crab (tail and all). It's covered in pyrite which looks pretty neat, but i hope it doesn't rot over time and destroy this little gem.

attachicon.gif20160426_202940-1.jpg

Awesome, Charlie!

What a great example. :wub:

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, Ken and Tim. Unfortunately these crab nods tend to explode. That's why it looks so beat up. I had to play doctor and piece it back to life, then prep a bit.

Maybe one day i will find a crab nod that will split clean. But until then, I'm happy to add this golden horseshoe to thee ol' collection.

~Charlie~