fossilized6s

That's a gem, Charlie!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks, Steve, Roger and Chas. It's a nice piece (well for me....haha).

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

• 1 month later...

I found a very nicely preserved polychaete worm last night. It's my best so far of this species.

post-14584-0-56519200-1465420984_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Nice! Great contrast and detail.

I managed to pull a few Pit 11 nodules from the South Unit last week. I've got them soaking before their first freeze. Gonna have to clear of a shelf in the freezer again.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice find it shows up well.

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Thanks, guys.

Ken, I'm really sorry i could not meet you guys at Mazon this year. God knows i wanted to. I hope you guys found some good stuff.

~Charlie~

No problem--life often intrudes on our fossil hunting plans. Just found out I'll be in the Dominican Republic during the open collecting date at the St. Paul, Indiana quarry. We can't do everything we want.

Tammy and I got out to Mazon Creek a little bit while we were up in Chicago last week. It's such a short drive (for us) that we popped over Saturday morning despite the forecast for PM rains. We were out late the night before on another fossil roadtrip (soon to be recounted on TFF when I have a spare moment) so we weren't up particularly early. By the time we got there the clouds had moved in and a light mist was in the air. We dropped in at a favorite hunting spot in the South Unit but before we found much, the mist turned into drizzle and then into full-fledged rain so we packed it out of there slightly soggy but happy to be out poking around.

Didn't find too many whole nodules that day and only took an in-situ photo of one reasonably nice one.

post-7713-0-90539500-1465580571_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-39603100-1465580572_thumb.jpg

We did stumble upon quite a number of frogs enjoying the moisture while we picked our way through the underbrush. Here's a little guy who was happy for the precipitation.

post-7713-0-91095300-1465580572_thumb.jpg

We got back out again Sunday to much clearer skies. We had plans later that day to catch a movie with Tammy's family so we only had time for a short hunt (again, so happy that Mazon Creek is relatively close to where we stay). We tried to get out to a spot that Rob Russell told us about a couple of years ago but I had forgotten where the route was to that spot and we spent some time in the morning wandering aimlessly--but it was a beautiful day to do so. We ended up just going back to our previous day's site (though I did finally remember how to get to the distant location but didn't have the time). We scrambled though the underbrush for a couple of hours and amazingly came away tick free (don't know how we managed that). It took some time to find areas that had signs of nodules weathering out of the inclined ground and most of them were split open fragments--though two seemed to have blobs (Essexella asherae) in them. Finding a productive spot took a lot of wandering in the underbrush in areas where it seemed that no human could have ventured there before us--that is till we saw the beer cans (which we picked up).

I finally got into one small spot just a meter or so in diameter on level ground where some nodules seemed to have accumulated from the slopes nearby. I pulled out some nice elongated ones and some round ones. We had a few that were as large as a hamburger bun and one with a partial "hole" depression in the center on one side that we called the bagel. My intent was to only keep quality looking nodules this time and leave behind smaller or misshapen nodules that likely had nothing in them. I did toss back many smalls and several in an irregular shape that I've seen before that have never produced anything for me. These are the angled ones that look like a stack of poker chips leaning off to one side. You can see the bedding layers and they do not run along the nodule. These always seem to break into a series of small disks (like poker chips) and never produce so I ditched them.

It took so long to find any productive area that once I was in one that delivered up a handful of nodules while brushing away the leaves and twigs that I didn't bother pulling out my camera to document them in situ. In the end I maybe ended up with enough nodules to fill the better part of a gallon jug. They are in for a week-long soak before they visit the inside of my freezer on the "nodule shelf". I'll post photos if anything of note pops out. I'd be happy for just one nice annelid worm like yours out of the lot.

We'll be back up again (maybe in the fall before hunting season) so I might get another chance at collecting some nodules.

Cheers.

-Ken

The worm is very clear... Thats a fantastic find, well done....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I found two uncommon worms last night. One is the first one i have ever found, and the other is only the second I've found.

Archisymplectes rhothon (ribbon worm)

post-14584-0-35008500-1468117638_thumb.jpg

Mazoglossus ramsdelli (acorn worm)

post-14584-0-88809800-1468117734_thumb.jpg

They're not much to look at and preservation of these are usually poor. These are preserved decently, so I'm happy.

~Charlie~

Also a couple cool pieces i found over the winter.

Essexella asherae associated with Paucijaculum samamithion

post-14584-0-58179100-1468118027_thumb.jpg

Also a nicely preserved Esconichthys apopyris profile view showing the "gills", eye and keeled tail.

post-14584-0-51845900-1468118176_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

• 3 weeks later...

Well my stupidity was worth it. I went to Mazon Sunday in spite of the heat warnings. It was fine until 1pm, after that my brain juices began to boil a bit. To make a long story short, i had the beginning stages of heat stroke the last hour of my hunt and i almost didn't make it back to my car. This isn't my first time, you would think i would learn by now that my body simply can't handle high temps (it was about 109° heat index).

But i did find me an almost complete Tully Monster! It's too bad the claw decided to preserve underneath this guy. It's definitely not the best preservation, but I'm happy.

post-14584-0-43885500-1469592554_thumb.jpg

a crude outline for the unfamiliar and untrained eyes out there.

post-14584-0-10170800-1469592637_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

Excellent finds, once again, Charlie!

I took the liberty of messing with the contrast on your two worms - hope you don't mind. :)

post-2806-0-21894600-1469616621_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-32696300-1469616629_thumb.jp

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My goodness, you earned that Tully! I can't imagine bushwhacking in Mazonia in that kind of heat. Nice worms as well- I alway's worry that I'm missing those sorts of faint fossils when going through my split nodules.

• 7 months later...

I met up with a few fossil hunters last Sunday at Mazon. I came back with a few nice ones that were already open. 

Macroneuropteris scheuchzeri 

20170313_181402.jpg

~Charlie~

My best Shark Coprolite to date. This is so detailed! Never been so excited about a piece of poo before.

20170317_173037.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

A nice shrimp molt and an unfortunate Lobetelson shrimp victim of weathering.

20170317_172954.jpg

~Charlie~

Sweet finds, Charlie. Glad you got out and added some prizes to the collection.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hey all, its been a while since i posted on here but i just wanted to show off my first Tully! Self collected (2016) on private property hunting with "Wildman" and Andrew from American Fossil Hunt. I wish i had the happy dance i made on camera, made my entire year!

IMG_20170222_204947_876.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe no one has commented on your post @jeepjoe79- what a great find! I really love the color on that Tully, and how well you can see the stripes/segments on the body.

22 hours ago, deutscheben said:

I can't believe no one has commented on your post @jeepjoe79- what a great find! I really love the color on that Tully, and how well you can see the stripes/segments on the body.

Thanks @deutscheban! I was pretty stoked when i found it! Best fossil from mc i have found yet and it was my first Tully! I actually just got back from the south unit of mc but no Tully shapes :(

That's a beauty Joe!  Congrats!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.