My Collection - The Snails....)

lcordova

That big one may be a concretion. Can you post a side view and maybe an aperature view?

Here's a concretion in my collection that looks silimar to it.

Top view

post-16101-0-46400800-1407947406_thumb.jpg

Side view

post-16101-0-62999500-1407947438_thumb.jpg

I used to have the largest paleontology site on the web back in the mid 1990's. I had that posted as a coprolite, and some professional paleontologists broke the bad needs to me that it was just a concretion. Sometimes they form "piles" like that.

Edited by tmaier

Hi,

Can assure you is not a concretion. I find it in Puebla Mexico. That place was incredible in the 70´s and 80´s.

Google "San Juan Raya Puebla" and see the images, you will enjoy them.

Let me take a picture and I´ll post it.

Oh yeah, that's definately a gastropod. From the top view it looked to much like my "poop" concretion.

Nice collection. Have you tried to classify them?

Ups I think I´ve reach the point where I´m showing my ignorance.... :) LOL.... I dont know what you mean by classify it... and with that you realize I´m totally an amateur.... :)

All of the snails are from the State of Coahuila in Mexico, except the big one that is from Puebla.

Well, when you classify them you try to find how they fit into the tree of life, and come up with the latin names that describe their relationship in that tree.

To try it out, you would post good pictures of only one or two of them at a time onto the "Fossil ID" area. You would want more than one photo of each specimen to show all the features of the fossil, from all sides. People will want to know exactly where it came from because they will try to figure out what geological strata it came from, and that will give hints about the age and give hints about the classification of the fossil.

Here's an example of people guessing at the classification of an unknow fossil...

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/48697-first-find-what-is-it/

OK,

I´ll put some of the fossils there... :)

Specially the ones I find more interesting or which really have no idea what they are.

Just do one fossil per picture and show a few angles of it. It will be easier for folks to ID for you. Also include location found, period name and formation name if you know it.

The most valuable view of a gastropod is the aperture view, that shows the opening, like this shot here...

post-16101-0-92624200-1408038322_thumb.jpg

And other views also are good, too, but the characteristics of the aperture are very diagnostic.