A Day At The Enci (Netherlands)

Indagator

Hey,

I'd like to share some pics of the wonderful finds me and my dad did at the ENCI quarry 9th of august. It is a quarry of the late cretaceous time period (Maastrichtian) and we search there in a layer called the horizont of Lichtenberg. Normally you've got to work pretty hard for some nice finds but that day it was nicely digged free by the people who work there. A nice bonus! After a few small finds i stumbled on a piece of bone that at first looked small but after a closer look was about 8cm (3 inches) long. I got it out and got it in the box near by gear and searched further for some nice finds. Which were mostly awesome shark teeth and some sea urchins.

After i got home i did some preparations on the finds and these are some of the results:

post-13379-0-93603100-1408049660_thumb.jpgpost-13379-0-14594200-1408049696_thumb.jpg

That looks like an unusually productive day for that quarry. Great specimens of a number of different animals.

Hey,

I'd like to share some pics of the wonderful finds me and my dad did at the ENCI quarry 9th of august. It is a quarry of the late cretaceous time period (Maastrichtian) and we search there in a layer called the horizont of Lichtenberg. Normally you've got to work pretty hard for some nice finds but that day it was nicely digged free by the people who work there. A nice bonus! After a few small finds i stumbled on a piece of bone that at first looked small but after a closer look was about 8cm (3 inches) long. I got it out and got it in the box near by gear and searched further for some nice finds. Which were mostly awesome shark teeth and some sea urchins.

After i got home i did some preparations on the finds and these are some of the results:

attachicon.gifCIMG0461.JPGattachicon.gifCIMG0479.JPG

Is this the same quarry that yielded the famous Maastrict Mosasaur?

Congratulations on your wonderful finds, and welcome to the Forum :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanks all for the compliments.

Auspex - yes, it is the same quarry where two mosasaurs were found. The most famous one is Bér and the latest one is called Carlo. And thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I will (when i have time) post some finds of other quarries that are located in the area.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello all,

As i go to this quarry weekly i wanted to post the finds after each trip. Unfortunately i didn't have the time to post anything the last few weeks as i was too busy. These are some of the finds of the 23th of august.

post-13379-0-17862600-1410534063_thumb.jpg

post-13379-0-28098900-1410534138_thumb.jpg

post-13379-0-96505300-1410534265_thumb.jpg

post-13379-0-54570900-1410534328_thumb.jpg

Edited by Indagator

I continue to love the shapes of Cretaceous shark teeth. Nice finds!

What is the first tooth? I've never seen anything like it.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I continue to love the shapes of Cretaceous shark teeth. Nice finds!

What is the first tooth? I've never seen anything like it.

it is a ganopristis leptodon. These are rare teeth in terms of finding them complete.

It is a species not often seen. Your photo may be the first or second I've seen on this forum. It is also known from the Maastrichtian of Morooco but I haven't seen many from there either.

it is a ganopristis leptodon. These are rare teeth in terms of finding them complete.