Hot! Hot! Hot! Why Cant Every Trip Be Like Today

Guest bmorefossil

Thanks, most people think they are. Since im posting my finds is this considered bragging? If anyone takes it like that im sorry i didnt mean for it to be that way.

Are you kidding? I look forward to seeing your next trip pics and reports every day. I can't get out as often as most, so it's like I'm out there with you hunting, especially with all of the ground shots too! It's not bragging, it's sharing, big difference. I appreciate it as it seems to me that most do, or would. Keep the reports and pics coming!

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Are you kidding? I look forward to seeing your next trip pics and reports every day. I can't get out as often as most, so it's like I'm out there with you hunting, especially with all of the ground shots too! It's not bragging, it's sharing, big difference. I appreciate it as it seems to me that most do, or would. Keep the reports and pics coming!

I thought you were the guy I met down at the beach, but it was not you obvisiously :P , I told him about the forum so lets see if he joins he said he was a friend of Ron, he was a really nice guy so I hope he joins.

hmm then what could it be? baby croc or something?

Maybe turtle? Nice finds Bmore. You're making me want to go back to that spot. When and where's your next trip Bmore?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil
Maybe turtle? Nice finds Bmore. You're making me want to go back to that spot. When and where's your next trip Bmore?

well im thinking thursday or friday and then saturday or sunday

Guest bmorefossil

yea im thinking turtle dont know why it is hollow

...im thinking turtle dont know why it is hollow

There's hollow, and then there's hollow-ollow-ollow.

Bird bones are very thin-walled, like a soda straw; a thick-walled hollow bone can come to be when the cancellous (spongy) internal tissue decomposes before it can mineralize. Don't rule anything out just because the bone is hollow.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
There's hollow, and then there's hollow-ollow-ollow.

Bird bones are very thin-walled, like a soda straw; a thick-walled hollow bone can come to be when the cancellous (spongy) internal tissue decomposes before it can mineralize. Don't rule anything out just because the bone is hollow.

yes this thing has very thin walls like my other bird bones but i guess its not.

thanks but i dont do it to brag i dont know exactly why i post what i find, i guess its for the good members of the forum so they can gaze upon the beauty of fossils.

It's called "Show & Tell" a great thing to do. Sharing is part of the hobby. You keep posting your finds. I know most everybody here loves to see them.

Mike

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

yes this thing has very thin walls like my other bird bones but i guess its not.

Is the interior exposed? From the picture, I thought it was entire. Can you do some end views?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil
Is the interior exposed? From the picture, I thought it was entire. Can you do some end views?

well there is a hole in the side. Ill get some better pictures with the scanner tonight Im really good with it now.

what do you think about this, you can see the hole at the bottom left

Well, I can maybe see that there is a hole, but I can't judge the wall thickness of the bone. There's enough erosion of the articulation surfaces to have removed salient details, so I'll have to stick with the jizz.

The only bone on a bird that looks anything like it is a phalanx, and the only bird phalanx that approaches the L x W ratio of this one is #1 of digit 3. Going back to the original pic, it looks like this bone is 1 3/16" long, so this would be a HUGE flightless terrestrial bird. This is from an Eocene marine deposit, so it is either from a Diatryma-class "terror bird" that got washed out to sea, or it's not from a bird. I think it's a long-shot, but you should probably get someone at the Smithsonian to look at it, just to be sure it's not the former.

Guest bmorefossil
Well, I can maybe see that there is a hole, but I can't judge the wall thickness of the bone. There's enough erosion of the articulation surfaces to have removed salient details, so I'll have to stick with the jizz.

The only bone on a bird that looks anything like it is a phalanx, and the only bird phalanx that approaches the L x W ratio of this one is #1 of digit 3. Going back to the original pic, it looks like this bone is 1 3/16" long, so this would be a HUGE flightless terrestrial bird. This is from an Eocene marine deposit, so it is either from a Diatryma-class "terror bird" that got washed out to sea, or it's not from a bird. I think it's a long-shot, but you should probably get someone at the Smithsonian to look at it, just to be sure it's not the former.

are you talking about the bone that I found being 1 3/16" long? The bone I found is under 1/2" long, the reason im having trouble getting a good picture of it

are you talking about the bone that I found being 1 3/16" long? The bone I found is under 1/2" long, the reason im having trouble getting a good picture of it

Ah, I misread your scale! All along, I thought it was twice as big as it is :blush:

post-423-1234411433.jpg

here i got you a true end view where you can see the thin wall

Now we're getting somewhere! My best guess?

Bird, phalanx #1, digit 3, genus/species indeterminate, apx. size of a large duck/small goose (2-4 lbs), likely a seabird by depositional habitat (assuming it was found in matrix, not as float).

See if you can get Storrs Olson at the Smithsonian to look at it; species have been erected on less.

Nice going!

Guest bmorefossil
Now we're getting somewhere! My best guess?

Bird, phalanx #1, digit 3, genus/species indeterminate, apx. size of a large duck/small goose (2-4 lbs), likely a seabird by depositional habitat (assuming it was found in matrix, not as float).

See if you can get Storrs Olson at the Smithsonian to look at it; species have been erected on less.

Nice going!

k thanks, so a large duck or goose cool. So should I email him or something?

...so a large duck or goose...

SIZE OF lg. duck/sm. goose; I can't narrow it down any more than that.

Guest bmorefossil
SIZE OF lg. duck/sm. goose; I can't narrow it down any more than that.

lol ok :P

now if one bmorefossil was trying to have Storrs Olson how would he do it?

now if one bmorefossil was trying to have Storrs Olson how would he do it?

Send good pics, along with all the specific info pertaining to the specimen (don't leave anything to be guessed at, but be brief). Then, be patient. :)

Email to: olsons@si.edu