Ikea Cabinets For Fossils Collection And How I Tinkered It

AJ Plai

I have been tinkering with the IKEA's Detolf cabinets which I have found to be one of the cheapest cabinets you can get and it's all around transparency makes your room looks uncluttered and especially suitable if you want a collection cabinet that will fit well with a modern, contemporary or minimalist home decor style, plus allowing full view of your collection from all around. It also takes very little space in your room and not difficult to put up together.

The downsides I have found with the cabinet are that:

1.) the light once installed in the top shelf won't usually reach the lower shelves if your collection are cluttered

2.) the dust problem builds up pretty quickly since there are gaps around the cabinet's door

3.) the shelves is probably not going to take too much weight, so display the heavy stuff on the bottom shelf to stay safe

4.) you have to carry it home from IKEA, so bring a medium sized car and above to shop….

The first problem of lighting, could be easily mitigated by getting one of IKEA's Dioder LED lights set that has 4 LED lights connected to one switch. Getting the wires all set up nicely in the cabinet can be a little tricky but not difficult with some patience (or some helping hands like I did!). I would recommend trying the install the lights a little bit to the front of the shelves not directly in the center or in the back since it will allow the light to shine on some specimens at the front if your shelves start getting really cluttered.

post-10857-0-38087900-1408155663_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-16863200-1408155727_thumb.png

The dust problem I solved by getting one of those small strips of wind-proof or dust-proof door tape with some brush hair that you can probably get quite easily from home appliances store. This should stop the dust from building up too quickly so that I don't have clean the cabinets every 1 or 2 months (which can be a pain when you have a very particular set-up and display OCD like me!)

This is the final results of the cabinets after minor tinkering:

post-10857-0-59303400-1408155744_thumb.png

And these are the pictures after I put my collection in the cabinets and the overall look of my "cabinets of curiosity" corner of my living room:

post-10857-0-92608300-1408156213_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-10395100-1408156158_thumb.png

I have a couple of these myself and really like them as well. You are correct about the lighting, and I like what you did with the LEDs to get more light into the cabinet, thanks for sharing!

Jay

Yes, they are nice !

I agree, take care, much care with the WEIGHT, as far I know they are marked max. 10 kgs.

If not, you risk to have a disaster, as I had the last wednesday.

I'm shocked and evaluating the losses still...

I have no words yet for explain what happened with my cabinet (not IKEA one, but a solid and professional cabinet)....

:(

Yes, they are nice !I agree, take care, much care with the WEIGHT, as far I know they are marked max. 10 kgs.If not, you risk to have a disaster, as I had the last wednesday.I'm shocked and evaluating the losses still...I have no words yet for explain what happened with my cabinet (not IKEA one, but a solid and professional cabinet).... :(

Ahhhh......wow! Im sorry to hear that. I think for all us collectors that is a real fear.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Nice job AJ, excellent planning leads to a great final product. Looks like you will be visiting IKEA near future with your ever growing collection.

Looks fabulous!!! Great job! I may have to look into one of those... Doesn't look like it can be anchored though. Can it? With a energetic 4 year old I find it's necessary to secure everything to avoid disaster. lol

Yes, they are nice !

I agree, take care, much care with the WEIGHT, as far I know they are marked max. 10 kgs.

If not, you risk to have a disaster, as I had the last wednesday.

I'm shocked and evaluating the losses still...

I have no words yet for explain what happened with my cabinet (not IKEA one, but a solid and professional cabinet)....

:(

Really sorry to hear about the accident on your collection :o Hope the damage isn't too severe. I will definitely not push the limit of the shelves' strength, better to invest in an extra cabinet to accommodate more stuff at the cost of less than $100 than to risk ruining $100s (or $1,000s or more...) worth of precious specimens.

And thx for the compliment guys; figuring ways to display stuff and decorating my room have been surprising an entertaining and addicting spin-off hobby from my collecting. I will undoubtedly visit IKEA in the near future as my collection grow. I figured that my room can probably accommodate about 3 more cabinets before I need to find a new room or new solutions for collection storage and display, lol

Very nice. Can you explain further about the "wind-proof and brush-hair" way you prevent dust from getting in the cabinet. Perhaps you could take a close-up showing what you are talking about.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Oh, now I see. Thanks for sharing. Your display is awesome!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Archived